Thread: A Tandem Cub
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Frank, I don't think you have room for a Lovejoy coupler. Distance is too far, and the coupler will be too big around. It will hit the top of the trans. You can direct drive it.... but it needs to be in line, or have some flex. Honestly, the rear shaft for the rear PTO units wasn't a tight fit. You can likely make something similar.
Not familiar with the rear PTO units you are referring to.

I measured the clearance to the transmission lid and the shaft and I think there is room. The Lovejoy coupler is 1-3/16 dia, and there is room for an almost 2 inch dia coupling.

I see that the two shafts are separated by four or five inches, and I thought about that. Plan was to create an extension to the pump shaft to accommodate the Lovejoy coupling. I am concerned about supporting that shaft but the pump shaft is 1-1/2 inches long and I thought an extension shaft could be adequately supported if I used all of that length inside the extension.

But I'd rather not deal with it if a solid sleeve (as I used for alignment) would work. Other than a lovejoy or similar device, I don't know how to get flex in the pump drive. The only U-joints I see are low speed or very expensive so that doesn't appear to be an option either.

If I created a drive shaft from the hydro to the pump with a sleeve that was a bit loose, and pinned it to both shafts so it had a bit of wiggle to it, that might work? Is that what you mean, Jon?