View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge trucker View Post
Jon,
Never said anything about not being able to get a 20-under rod, I see them offered often,
I just don't much care for much of the currently available offshore sourced parts. I already have a few left over rods, so I figured rather than just tossing them into the scrap bin, if I can still use them, why not?
I have 3 more k series engines sitting here that i want to go thru, if I can prep these otherwise "junk" rods for reuse, and I can get inserts, I can use any of the rods I have on any of the engines that I have.
Make sense?
Well, it only kind of makes sense. Like I said, it was going to cost me just a bit more to remachine a rod and buy a bearing than to buy a rod. I'm more interested in price. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving things if it's economical, but I'm not going to spend more just to reuse a "bad" part. Also, I don't understand what issue you would have with an "offshore" part. I've installed lots of them with no issues. I don't think what you are doing is in the best interest of you, or the customer, unless you can find someone to remachine the rod cheaper than I can. Plus, you have to remember it's an aluminum rod. How much fatigue does it already have? I don't think it's worth the risk. Now, if you buy a billet rod, that's totally different.