Thread: 100 wont start
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 AM

well if you are spitting gas then you have plenty of gas. If you have spark then you are getting fire ( if it's a little weak then close the gap a little to get a stronger spark.) There should be no reason you are not making fire. If you take the head back off make sure you did put a little oil on the valves so they are lubed a little. ( I do mean a little) otherwise it could be a timing issue, check the points to make sure you are getting the right timing. hard to diagnose an engine over the internet without asking questions.

Are you smelling gas, or exhaust?

gas means no combustion. (adjust timing and ensure good spark. I prefer to lay shut off the gas and lay the plug on the block where I can see the spark and turn the engine over so I can visually see the spark on the plug. ) timing I never had to do or look up.

If you are smelling exhaust then I bet you have an improper air fuel mixture. (fail to run would mean low fuel, - open the idle jet more on side rear of carb then apply choke and start.) when running adjust as necessary.
If you got exhaust but it was dark then you are too rich, but in this case you would probbably be running, unless you are flooding it, then the jet needles would have to be open way too wide. (fitting with the spitting fuel out carb.) Simply adjust down to fully closed then turn back 2 turns and attempt to start.

Hope this helps, and I hope you dont have a mechanical problem.