View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Had an interesting development with this - A post I read about someone else having a similar issue (engine running fine when stationary but having issues running when moving) sparked a though - it could be electrical, not fuel (although the chock would seem to indicate fuel).

For reference, this motor is a 190432-6145-01. The carb is a B&S 390323. A bit different design than most other's I've seen.

I replaced the coil and cleaned up the two wires used for grounding it and shutting down the engine. Same thing. So I pulled the carb and took it apart again, nothing appeared amiss, the float moved freely, etc, but apparently, when I put it back together, the float wasn't stopping the flow of fuel like it should and it totally flooded the carb.

So I pulled the carb off my Tomahawk chipper, which hasn't been touched other than taking it off the chipper. Fired up and ran like a champ - until I started moving. It wasn't as bad as with the original carb - but it still had some issues sputtering and had to run at about half choke.

So I have no idea what it could be. Two different carbs exhibiting the same symptoms? I highly doubt at this point, that it's anything electrical. If it was simply a carb adjustment issue or a lack of fuel flow, I'd expect it to have the same issues running stationary or moving.

With the design of this carb, it appears fuel is pulled from the very bottom of the bowl, rather than part way up like most other applications I've seen appear to, so it should require almost no fuel in the bowl for that to cause it to die.

Any thoughts with this additional info?