View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 01:16 AM

Keep the photo's coming ! Cubs from around the world ! This photo essay has conjured up some questions . Not to be misconstrued as criticism. I'm a restorer of many things in life. When I see an object, I just don't judge it for it's practicality ,,,but also for it's aesthetic impact. I.E. What did it look like new? What made it shine ? Was that a driving factor in the initial purchase ? My intention is to restore as many Cubs as I can to original condition. That brings up another question. What is restored ? I see many applications of this term abused on online auctions and other venues . To many it, means a new paint job. Even if it's the wrong paint. Guys, if Your going to go to the trouble of stripping down one of these fine machines and painting it ........... For goodness sakes "USE THE CUB PAINT" !!!!!!! Spend the extra 15 dollars and buy the right stuff. Anyhow, that is not a restoration. Restoration means taking out the clip board and compiling the deviation from factory specs. The obvious, head gasket leaks, tie rod ends, brake wear, tire rot, carb throttle shaft wear, front axle pivot point shimming, hydro control spring wear and swash plate input shaft leaks. Clutch and brake adjustment . The thing with most of these older Cubs is .....the thing that should wear out the most wears out the least. These old single cylinder engines just run forever and ever. They are a stone ax and a tribute to American ingenuity !!!! You all have fine machines. There are a few modifications that have been added to some Cubs here that I don't understand. So ,what do you guys think a restored Cub should entail ??? PS, Grey531 has a swell tractor that he has tweaked himself in a short period of time. Nice job Art !!