Thread: Gasket Removal
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Default Gasket Removal

So I did some searching, and couldn't find any old threads about this. So what are you using to remove gaskets when going through the rear end? The rear axle gaskets and rear plate are really stuck on there. Usually I go very carefully and slowly scraping it off and maybe using some brake cleaner, but I can't find anything that will touch this stuff. I've tried everything I could find in my cabinets. The gasket in the picture is much better, but it's taking hours! And this is the first one of 6 I have to do!

I've seen people use die grinders with different scotch brite pads, or other attachments, but I'm really leary about anything like that. I know it's a definite no no on engine components because you can grind it out of whack in just a few seconds, but being this is a rear end....maybe there's a better way? I haven't tried any spray on gasket removers yet. Tried brake cleaner, carb cleaner, brake fluid, wd40, pb-blaster, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, paint stripper and anything else I could find. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-12-01 12.14.26.jpg (35.6 KB, 152 views)