View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Spent an hour or so yesterday pulling the engine on it. I think it takes longer than that to pull the side tins off when it's in the tractor still (some of those bottom bolts are a pain to get at). It's stored a bit away from the house because I don't have room to keep it inside here, so working on the engine in the garage lets me make progress on it.

Brought engine home and put it up on the bench. Pulled the tins and started to clean it up a little. It's pretty nasty. Definitely was not well cared for in a previous life.

Coil is definitely shot. No continuity on primary side, and it looks like it's trying to spit it's guts out.

Put a compression gauge on it and only got 75 on one side and 65 on the other. Leakdown test on the lower compression cylinder and it sounds like intake valve is leaking pretty bad. Both cylinders are leaking into the crankcase. Wondering if it's partially from sitting for so long.

Not sure what I'm going to do next with it. Probably will pull the heads and just have a look, if nothing else. A valve job may help a little, but with compression that low, I'm imagining it's time to consider a re-power or pulling jugs, getting them machined, and doing pistons, rings and valves. Really don't want to split the case if I can avoid it. Then again, if it's that bad up top, it's probably not real great inside either.

Other thought was to see if I could just get it to run and get it warmed up a bit and see if it comes up at all, but with #s that low, I'm not sure if it will even get that far.

I've got a KT-17 I I need to go pick up from craigslist that has a good coil and a carter carb (to replace the walbro that's on it with a loose throttle shaft). That'd probably be enough stuff to get it running in whatever state it's currently in, and then could assess from there I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.jpg (27.6 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0482.jpg (33.5 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0472.jpg (35.2 KB, 652 views)