View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the pics and advice, guys. Sam, my folks have a 1641 with the 46" deck like you've got. It does a pretty good job with the bagger. I bagged a lot of leaves with it in my younger years... Looks like you built a custom front end for yours. Was that out of necessity from bad plastic?

Sorner, thanks for the advice about lye via PM. I picked some up on the way home from work in case I got into it and decided I wanted to try to get the aluminum off the crank. I tore into it the rest of the way tonight.

Looks like the heat got to the crank and discolored it. Is it ruined even if I could get the aluminum off the journal?

The second pic is of the rod that isn't broken. It feels smooth but looks damaged. Salvagable?

Finally, the bore looks fine in the cylinder that the rod broke in. I can still see hatching and don't see any cracks or dents. I noticed what looked like marks from the casting or small cracks, though. They don't go through. Would that be alright if I rebuilt it?

Right now, at a minimum I'm thinking 1 new piston and rings, 2 new connecting rods, a new crank, and new gasket set to get it rebuilt. Probably at least $250. I need to think about it for a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1012171846.jpg (57.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 1012171846b.jpg (44.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 1012171847.jpg (50.6 KB, 159 views)