Thread: 582 woes
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 AM

I guess there is one piece of info I left out that I should have mentioned, it has just under 3600 hours on it. My Mom bought it not long after my Dad died, some time 1988 and it had 1600 hours on it then so I'm guessing it was being used commercially. 3,600 is a lot of hours on any engine, let alone a Briggs.

All those hours are what makes me think twice about putting more money into it, everything is loose, the pins that hold the deck up and the holes they go into are all worn, transaxle seems ok but how many hours is that good for? Those kind of things are what make me think about getting another one with fewer hours, I see plenty of old cubs on craigslist with under 1000 hours.

I suppose you guys are right though, I should at least tear the carb down and see if that's what is causing my problem and not blow by or a stuck valve. If that fixes it I would at least have a little more time to look for something I want. Glad to hear those compression numbers aren't bad, I was thinking the worst. Definitely not going to buy a POS though, if I go that route it will be another older Cub. My Mom gave me that 582 when I moved in the house I'm in now back in 2000 and I've never had to do anything to it but keep up with the periodic maintenance other than a couple small things. The clutch rod broke once and I welded that up and put it back on, put a few patches in the deck and one of the pulley's on the deck busted and I welded that back together. That's it in 15 years.

My Father in Law bought a new LT1050 in 2008 and that thing is a POS. Started slipping on hills a few years ago so I yanked the transaxle out of it and changed the fluid, it was already burnt. It's lasted a couple years now but it won't last forever. Now the Kohler in it is burning oil like a smokestack and there's only 250 hours on it.