View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydee View Post
Thanks for sharing your ideas on restoring the plastic on the newer cubs...

I am in the process of restoring my Dad's 1641...I have disassembled, blasted and primed most of the metal parts and am getting ready to paint the final color coats soon.

I have set aside the hood for the time being, however, I have given some serious thought as to how the dull plastic hood is going to look with the freshly restored paint on the rest of the tractor...probably not too good!

So, I went to my local auto paint store and picked up some urethane clearcoat to give it the gloss I think it should have. It is only necessary to "scotch-brite the plastic to give better adhesion before putting the clear on.
I also ordered a new set of decals from Maple Hunter today, as a matter of fact...I'm thinking of putting the new decals on and then clear coating the hood, hoping they will last longer and look less like "peel and stick" decals.

I will let you know how it turns out when it is all done!
clear coat will not stick to plastic no matter how you scuff it, painting plastic requires an adhesion promoter which is not found in clear. i would suggest buffing the plastic, much like paint plastic can be buffed up to look like new even if its very dull.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965