View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Grand Member

There are several different compression springs that you can use in your Cub Cadet clutch. Cub Cadet Classics has a blue spring that has 500 to 600 pound rating. The red spring has a 800 pound rating. The yellow spring has a 1120 pound rating. The stock spring has 225 to 250 pound rating. I set my clutches so my Wife and grand kids can push the clutch in. The red spring is too much and the stock spring isn't strong enough. I found on a tractor pull site this spring that has a 500 rating. It was before the blue spring was found plus it is cheaper. The spring is half of a field cultivator spring. One problem with this spring is the inside diameter is too big. I use a piece of pipe as a spacer with this spring.

My IH Cub Cadet 100 has this spring set up in for the last 3 years with no problems.

Install the spacer on drive shaft.

Washer is first them the spring.

Next is a washer and 2 split collars.

Some may be asking why I use split collars instead of the pin that cub Cadet used. The hole in the drive shaft is a weak spot. I'm trying to eliminate weak areas.

Next the clutch assembly goes in my clutch spring compressor.

The clutch spring is compress to the same spot where the pin thru the driveshaft location was.

Both collars are tighten.

The second collar is more for insurance so the they don't slip on the drive shaft.
Hopefully everyone notice the safety pin in my clutch spring compressor. there is plenty of stored energy in that drive shaft.

This picture shows the spring that holds the clutch pedal up.

It was missing.

Clutch is installed back in the 100.