View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Banned

I own somewhere in the neighborhood of $80,000 worth of tools and equipment. Only thing I own for cleaning a spark plug is a wire brush.

I'm assuming you mow with your QL tractor. Kohler manual suggests changing oil every 25 hours. I really think that is too often, even on a splash lube motor, given the quality of oil we have now. No need to do it anymore often than that.

If you are pulling the spark plug and changing oil even once mid season mowing, you should stop. It doesn't need done that often. I was telling a guy on here the other day, you should get at least 100-150 hours out of spark plug. I can't even remember the last time I pulled a plug out of any of my tractors. They run great. You are going to wear the threads out of the aluminum head. There's no reason to own a $25 machine to clean a $3 plug. It will actually decrease their life, not extend it. Put it in and run it. Pull it once a year if you must. Check it, gap it, wire brush it and put it back in and leave it. If you are fouling plugs or they get dirty mid season, you have other issues that need addressed.

I also strongly suggest not using a K&N air filter on your tractor if that is what you are saying you run. Too dirty an atmosphere to use a filter like that. It will plug up very fast. I have nothing against K&N (oil charged) filters. I don't think there is a better way to filter air than with oil.... that's actually proven. But in order to do it (on a tractor) and not need to clean and recharge the filter all the time is if you add an air filter housing with a centrifuge cap and maybe an asperator tube to help draw the dirt out of the cap.... maybe. A dry filter is best unless you change the housing.