View Single Post
Old 06-21-2023, 10:59 AM

There is no voltage regulator on this model. It has the diode rectifier in-line with the wiring = and unregulated charging system. I found this info/advice online from someone experiencing the same issue I am having and am wondering if it makes sense?? RPM's too high??:

"Whether you are checking the dedicated AC terminal, or the DC lead (upstream from the diode)........the voltage valve ought to be the same, whether AC[/I] or DC.
Rectifying 28 VAC does not yield 14 VDC.
Rectifying 28 VAC yields 28 VDC, but in half sine pulses.
Rectifying 14 VAC yields 14 VAC in half sine pulses.

In a rectified, but unregulated system, observed battery/system voltage will climb to reach the exact (or near) voltage value of the charging source ONLY when the battery has ABSORBED its optimum charge. If the battery is still lacking some charge, the observed voltage of the battery/system will be LESS than the final voltage the charging system is capable of.
ONLY after the battery is completely saturated (charged up) to its optimum point will you be able to observe a voltage level that matches the design parameters of the charging system.
So, if you are observing a voltmeter connected to the battery/system of a Dual Circuit system, and the battery is not TOTALLY CHARGED already.......you will not see 14 VDC.
Remember, this is one of the minimalist DC charging systems 2-4 amps max, so if the battery is not yet fully saturated, the VOLTAGE observed will be less than the design maximum output voltage of the charging system.
As the battery nears saturation, the observed voltage value will raise.
If the battery reaches the maximum state of charge on an unregulated charging system, the battery/system voltage will continue to climb, until it matches the ACTUAL output voltage that the charging system is making at that time.
And any time you exceed the optimum voltage of a battery, you are not actually charging the battery any longer, you are simply carrying on electrolysis, and boiling the juice out of the battery.

If this engine in this thread is outputting more than 14 volts (AC or DC), I believe it will be due to excess RPM."