Thread: 582 woes
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Does this thing have a "clock" style hour meter? Or a digit style? I'm seriously doubting those hours. Not that a small engine couldn't last that long, but that Briggs I/C is known to pop valve seats at or around 1000-1500 hours. I've not seen many Kohlers make it to 3K, let alone 3600. I'm thinking that the hour meter is incorrect, or the engine has been replaced, or both. How many acres has this thing mown on average? Sorry to be skeptical, but if your engine is in fact original, and it does have 3600 hours on it, keep running it and when it blows, call Briggs and Stratton and tell them how many hours you have on it.

At this point in the game, I would try and fix it. If it lost power so suddenly, it could have dropped a seat, but not if it will start on both cylinders one at a time. The fuel pump diaphragm may have let go. It is an odd fuel pump, mounted to the carb and vacuum operated.
Digit style hour meter, like all the other old Cubs I've seen. When I first got it sometime after I moved here in 2000 and started looking it over I thought the engine may have been replaced as I found a couple spliced wires but after talking to my Mom and her new husband they had a dealer pull the engine to put a new clutch and coil in it. I thought maybe the original owner swapped the engine before he sold it to my Mom but that was in 1988 and the date code on the engine matches the tractor, 1982.

I can't swear what was done to it in the first 6 years of it's life but when we bought it in 1988 the hour meter showed 1600 hours and now it's just under 3600 hours on that same motor 28 years later. I suppose the hour meter could be running fast but I doubt it. I don't remember the exact year my Mom gave it to me but it was probably 2002, I only mow about an acre with it but she has 3 acres and mows probably 2 acres every week and mows the field every couple weeks. I also use it to push snow so I'd say those hours are legit or at least close. If I get it running again I'll time it next time I cut, I'd like to know also.

Rebuilt the carb last night but didn't have time to put it back on, maybe later today. Nothing really stuck out at me, the needle valve was one of those types with a rubber tip and that had a bit of a groove in it. The new one from the Briggs kit was all metal. A tip for anyone that reads this and may rebuild one of these carbs later, unless you know the needle seat is bad don't try to replace it, lol. It would be much easier to put it back together with the old seat and see if that fixes your problem. Once I tried to get it out and scored it I had to replace it. Ended up having to drill it out, not fun.

The Briggs kit was awesome, $25 and it came with everything, all the gaskets, new adjustment screws and springs, needle, seat and clip, hinge pin for the float (no float though), it even had all the parts to rebuild the fuel pump, new diaphrams, springs, etc. I have an old John Deere 210 with a single cylinder Kohler engine and you can't even buy the parts for the fuel pump, they want to sell you a whole new pump for $150.