View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Default 3000 series axle leak

I spoke too soon on none of my tractors leaking at the rear axle. I finished putting the new head on the 3165, took it for a spin and it runs great. Parked it in the garage and found a small amount of oil on the floor this morning. It's nothing major, I just don't like stuff that leaks oil. Here you can see how the oil worked past the first seal and leaked out the axle cover. The tubes are dry on the the 3k tractors, all oil is kept in the differential.
DSCN1262.jpg

After work today I started pulling it apart. I looked in the manual and they show it on a work bench, I'm not gonna pull the whole thing off the tractor, that doesn't sound like fun.
You have to pull the fender pan, tank and rear frame plate, no big deal. I took compressed air and the shop vac and tried my best to get all the dirt and grime off the tractor because I want to reuse the oil..I'm cheap and it only has about 5 hours on it.
DSCN1271.jpg

Next thing is to remove the axle nuts. I don't have a socket big enough but I will next time.
DSCN1278.jpg

Then break out the pullers and pull the hub off. I put the lug nuts back on the studs and pulled on the black spacer plate. They are on there tight but mine both came off fine.
DSCN1276.jpg

Here is what the splined axle looks like that goes into the hub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1277.jpg (22.1 KB, 586 views)