View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Duane, if you don't want to tear it apart and drill the holes, then just leave it alone.

You can't put a hole in the top, the axle inside will keep you from sucking the oil out. I suppose you could drill a hole in the lower part and thread a plug, but you better guess right on where to put the hole on the first attempt. Axle is pretty thick, and odd shaped. Plus the oil that is in the tubes has no way to circulate back to the rear. Drilling holes in the rear housing allows the oil to circulate.
I guess my concern with putting the drain holes in the center housing was that it then allows any water that's condensed in the axle tubes to drain back into the rearend and contaminate everything in there. That doesn't solve the water problem but creates another. I'd rather remove it from the tubes by draining it off somehow. Tearing apart these little lawnmowers isn't the problem, as I'm usually busy working on much larger equipment. Currently in the barn are Ford 860, Ford 2000, JD750, JD1530, and a JD2355 along with many implements. Now trying to get things ready for spring.
Duane