View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa View Post
Congrats on your mill. Hope it works out well for you. Spindle speeds are the same as a Bridgeport. The VFD will "remove the hole" ( or gap ) between high and low range.

Are you familiar with tramming the head in? I have a write up on another forum I could copy if you would like.

Jeff
I just came in from the shop and saw your post. As a matter of fact, just spent the last hour tramming the headstock to the table. Got it within .002" or maybe a little better over 10 inches. We had rotated the headstock for transport so it was completely out of whack. Adjusted nod first, then tilt. Came right in. I'll look at it again with a different indicator and see if I can get it a bit closer, but I can't imagine I'd ever need anything better than that.

Put the indicator on the vise and the top of the jaw pads are perpendicular to the quill within .001" (.02 mm) when the table is moved left and right. Much of it was within .0005"/.01mm Have not checked the inside surfaces of the jaw pads yet but they look pretty nice.

The test indicator is actually in .01 mm divisions, so each division is a bit less than half a thousandth if my math is correct. (2540 divisions per inch). I'm calling it a half thousandth, close enough for me.

Some end mill holders and an R8 collet rack showed up in the mail. No VFD yet, Amazon said it was to be delivered today, but I'm rural, so UPS is usually a day late here. Can't wait to get it running.