View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Grand Member

Part 2: Install the new seal and reassembly

Alright, now that we've got the PTO, muffler shrouds, muffler, and the old seal removed, it's time to install the new seal. Before you do, make sure the crank and surrounding area are clean. We don't want any rouge dirt to get into the engine or onto the seal before or during install. Carb or choke cleaner is a good cleaner to use as it doesn't leave any oily residue behind.

Once things are cleaned up, grab your new seal. The new seal should come with a small amount of assembly grease to aid in installation, so try to remove as little as possible from the package to shaft. The seal is going to be a bit stiff to get started, but be patient. What I found works best is take a small hammer and LIGHTLY tap the edges of the seal just to get it started.

Once started, an easy way to get the seal to slide in evenly is with a piece of 2" or 2 1/4" PVC pipe. Line it up with the seal and GENTLY tap the end of the pipe. Small taps and being easy is the key here; you don't want to give it a good WAP and slide the seal all the way to the bottom. If you do that, you've got a whole new problem to deal with (oil return hole is now blocked and you've got to remove the seal and start all over with a new seal).

Tap the seal EASILY onto the shaft. Remember, you don't want to go to the same depth you did before. Slightly deeper or slightly shallower is the goal. I choose to go slightly shallower in my specific instance. Make sure you're seal is even all the way around.

Now clean up the shaft and around the seal with a clean cloth and get your PTO ready to re-install.
From here, simply reverse the steps we took to remove the PTO, muffler shrouds, and muffler to reassemble. Install your PTO, gap it (you won't have a better time to do it, link below for a how-to), install your muffler, and install the muffler shrouds. Now start your machine up and let it idle at about half throttle till it's good and warm and then enjoy your new leak free machine!

I hope this can help someone out there. I wanted to make this to give something back to the community that has given me so much. If you have any questions, please ask. If you see something I did wrong, or have a better way to do something, please post. If this helped you, don't be afraid to post and let us know. Thanks guys, and safe Cubbing out there!

PTO Adjustment Guide: http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30