View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Default Dave's 1650 Project

A brief introduction:

This is my first tractor. When I decided I wanted to get a tractor, I started shopping the basic $300-400 tractors on Craigslist. I would have probably wound up with some variation of an MTD product.

But as I shopped, I'd check forums such as OCC to learn about what I was looking at. Then I came across the restoration threads, and I was inspired.

I've always been pretty good with a wrench, but for the last few decades I've kind of backed off from my mechanical work. Got busy in the corporate world, paid for the work on my cars, etc.

My interest in wrenching has been rekindled, and I started thinking I couldn't settle for a stamped-tin tractor. So I started looking for a project.

At first, I was looking at the JD's. Mostly because they're so ubiquitous. But then I came across a Cub Cadet 1250 in my shopping, and even though I didn't buy it (probably should have) the Cub's became a fascination with me. As I continued reading, I determined that a 1450 or 1650 would be my ideal project tractor.

Then I found this 1650 on Craigslist. No pictures, but the ad said it was complete, had spark, turned over, but needed work. It was listed at $400.

I traveled 1.5 hrs to see it, and was surprised to find my destination at a salvage yard. Someone had junked this great tractor. I was able to pick it up for $300.

This restoration thread is to share my journey in the project, and to ask questions and learn from the vast experience of the members. You'll see that I'm a complete noob at many things, but I'm resourceful. If I get good instruction, I can do it.

I'll be interested in all the help and advice I can get, so let's get started!