Thread: 582 woes
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 AM

I didn't mess with the needles, just replaced them with the new ones in the kit. They are both at the bottom of the carb, one under the fuel pump and one just off to the side. One was 1 1/2 turns out and the other 2 1/2 turns. I wasn't sure what either of them was for so I just put the new ones to the same settings. I'm more of a quad guy, one needle raises the slide which raises the idle and the other is an air screw to adjust air intake. I've cleaned, rebuilt, jetted and adjusted dozens of those over the years but have never done anything but rebuild a few tractor carbs over the years, I hate messing with those stupid governors, lol.

I did rebuild the fuel pump, kind of a pain trying to get it back together with those tiny springs, two different diaphrams, etc. I was wondering if one of those springs fell out of place or something when I put it together. The carb is low enough that the fuel flows freely even without the fuel pump so I don't know if it would run without the fuel pump working or not, probably not. Hopefully it's just one of those flaps sticking like you said. I have noticed that the throttle is a little different now, you have to raise it a bit further before it starts raising the engine speed. That could be anything though. Appreciate the help guys.