View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 PM
Banned

On a similar note, I used to haul in a lot of tractors to the dealership when I worked for IH. I was also one of the lucky ones to have to deliver them when done, or when we sold new ones far away. (Three of us had CDL's, and I was the low guy on the totem pole, lol. Plus, I didn't mind doing it. Got me out of the shop.) Anyway, I used to use at least 3 chains and boomers per tractor. One over and through the front axle, and to each side of the trailer, on one over each axle on the rear. So 6 mounting points to the trailer, and 4 on the tractor. (Make sense?) One of the other guys only used two. One over and through the front axle, and one on a clevis on the drawbar. I was friends with him, and one day I told him I thought he should use 3 like I did.... he said, "Nah, I've never had an issue." Well.... that's always true until you do have an issue. He was about 40 miles away in a small town and went to cross some railroad tracks. The trailer we had was a double-drop deck so it was very low to the ground. He hit the tracks at about 20 miles an hour or so and the jacks on the trailer caught the tracks. Stopped him IMMEDIATELY! Rear chain broke, tractor came forward and the weight bracket hit the top deck. The angle of the weights made the whole front of the tractor jump up and the weights came down on the old boards on the top deck shattering the boards, and the weights fell into the deck, so it was caught. Took two wreckers like an hour to get him unstuck from the tracks, and I can't remember how long to get the front of the tractor lifted up and back on it's wheels.

He always used at least 3 chains after that......

I've hauled a lot of equipment over the years. Still have and use my CDL's too. I'm licensed to the hilt, lol. I hate it when I have to renew. Costs a fortune!