Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Home Made (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rear bucket (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49598)

MI Cub 08-06-2017 10:05 PM

Rear bucket

3 Attachment(s)
I've been working on this in the shop for the last week as I have time. Got it together and testing it out some. Planning on using it to mulch flower beds, haul the occasional load of dirt and stone, chain saws, gas cans. Pretty much a carry all. It mounts to the sleeve hitch.

I have yet to blast and paint it.

john hall 08-06-2017 10:13 PM

Looks good. Looks like it tilts in to "hold" the load, how about out for dumping?

MI Cub 08-06-2017 10:24 PM

Thank you John, yes it tilts to hold the load. Rake or shovel it out when you get to your destination. I was kicking around the idea of a dump, but that would put the bucket further away from the back of the tractor, effectively lessening the working load. As it sits, it will lift around 300#.

Alvy 08-06-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI Cub (Post 429516)
Thank you John, yes it tilts to hold the load. Rake or shovel it out when you get to your destination. I was kicking around the idea of a dump, but that would put the bucket further away from the back of the tractor, effectively lessening the working load. As it sits, it will lift around 300#.

I think that's why trents R bucket has the provision made in The middle for the dump cylinder. Although it takes up some bucket space it seems to still work really well with scooping and being able to get filled even with it in there. I'm sure he will be along soon.

Great job it looks plenty stout and very handy.

yettrbomb 08-06-2017 10:41 PM

Looks awesome. Nice work:beerchug:

MI Cub 08-06-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvy (Post 429518)
I think that's why trents R bucket has the provision made in The middle for the dump cylinder. Although it takes up some bucket space it seems to still work really well with scooping and being able to get filled even with it in there. I'm sure he will be along soon.

Great job it looks plenty stout and very handy.

Thank you Alvy, there were many pros and cons of the way I built this vs one that dumped that were discussed in the shop. In the end, the fact that it is intended for getting light material to places I can't get a loader tractor made this design a win for me. If I have a lot of material to move, I go get my next door neighbors 2440 JD with a loader and have at it. We trade equipment back and forth, so I get the benefits of having a big tractor without having to maintain one. I am curious about this hydraulic dump rear bucket though!

J-Mech 08-06-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI Cub (Post 429526)
I am curious about this hydraulic dump rear bucket though!

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40746

Read away!

ol'George 08-07-2017 09:18 AM

A couple of pivots on the bottom and you can make it a trip bucket, like they used back when I was a little nipper.
---wouldn't take much :beerchug:

MI Cub 08-07-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 429550)
A couple of pivots on the bottom and you can make it a trip bucket, like they used back when I was a little nipper.
---wouldn't take much :beerchug:

That would be the ideal approach! Thanks George, I knew there was a good reason that I hadn't welded that sleev hitch bracket out all the way!

I was looking at a trip bucket that the neighbor has, but his has additional frame work that adds 6-8" of length to the bucket, which would take a lot away from the lift capacity. It will lift about 300# now, 200 fairly easy.

Hinges on the bottom and a catch on top would maybe push it out another 1/2". That should barely be noticeable, but a huge improvement!

ol'George 08-07-2017 05:40 PM

You can use a some pieces of 1/2" pipe and rod or bolts for the hinges.
Nothing fancy but it will work well and be strong.:beerchug:
A spear/ notched on top for the rope trip will make you a nice setup.