Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Non Ethanol Gas?? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49993)

NewRiverGeorge 09-15-2017 06:54 AM

Non Ethanol Gas??

Hello Everyone,

Picking up my XT2 46" with Fabricated deck today and I have a question. I have heard non ethanol gas is better for mowers and fortunately have a station nearby that sells it. What do you guys know about this and is it worth using?

Thanks in advance,

NRG

yettrbomb 09-15-2017 08:49 AM

Ethanol rears its head when gas sits for a period of time. If you can run the tank empty or near empty the ethanol won't give you a problem. If the machine sits a while with ethanol in the carb, that's when it'll give you problems. If you've got a station close, by all means go for it. My cub has ethanol fuel in it all the time. My carb needs cleaned too so for now I'm not worried about it. But all my 2 stroke stuff has 100 octane low lead (av gas) in it and fires up 2nd pull. I don't have a station super close to me to get ethanol free or I'd probly do it. Sorry for the rambling!

olds45512 09-15-2017 10:41 AM

If you can get ethanol free then go for it but I've never had an issue with ethanol even in tractors that have sat a while.

finsruskw 09-15-2017 11:17 AM

Are not the newer Cubs designed for e-gas?
My GTX2154 says right on the fuel cap, good for up to 10% e-gas.
I use non e-gas in all the older stuff though, w/1oz MMO per gal.

Rainman4820 09-16-2017 07:37 PM

Non Ethanol

I use non ethanol exclusively in my farm equipment and would use nothing else. I buy my non ethanol from the Chiggar Ranch gas station in Dublin Texas (shameless advertising plug) and it costs about .15 cents per gallon more.

I have rebuilt or replaced carbs on countless equipment for mindlessly leaving ethanol containing gas in the tank/carb over the winter. If you don't believe ethanol creates problems for smaller lawn equipment like mowers, weedeaters, etc...just take a look at the listings on craigslist next spring for equipment that won't start and the owners believes the carb needs cleaning. Or just leave it in your own equipment and see what happens.

If you live in the midwest, ethanol is music to your ears. Here, is just makes my ears ring.

David K 10-06-2017 09:13 AM

how to remove Ethanol from gasoline

There is several posts on you tube on how to remove Ethanol from gas. It seems rather easy.
I haven't had the time to try it yet .
here is a link to one of the videos to remove ethanol from gasoline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG7mIprfE

OldSkull 10-06-2017 01:07 PM

I think we have seen this question asked 100 times!

YES new mowing equipment's are Ethanol ready (10%), to use it with old equipment's you need to rebuild the carb or take your chance and roll the dices...

YES all the new carburetor kit are ethanol ready.

YES if you live Ethanol gas in your equipment's for few weeks you may or may not encounter starting problem. Again you roll the dices...

YES most of us only use ethanol free gas and live very happy.

And finally YES you still need fuel stabilizer for long period storage no matter what kind of "Juice" you drop in the tank.

Add what ever you want to this list but for Cr...sake use the search engine to find an answer first.

Merk 10-06-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yettrbomb (Post 432899)
Ethanol rears its head when gas sits for a period of time. If you can run the tank empty or near empty the ethanol won't give you a problem. If the machine sits a while with ethanol in the carb, that's when it'll give you problems. If you've got a station close, by all means go for it. My cub has ethanol fuel in it all the time. My carb needs cleaned too so for now I'm not worried about it. But all my 2 stroke stuff has 100 octane low lead (av gas) in it and fires up 2nd pull. I don't have a station super close to me to get ethanol free or I'd probly do it. Sorry for the rambling!

Ethanol gas is just as good as non ethanol gas if you have good fuel storage habits. Check the fuel requirements for your small engine by looking at the small engine web site or a service manual. Running 100 octane fuel on an engine that design to run on 90 octane will leave carbon deposits.

Some of the things you can do to improve fuel shelf life are:
1. Buy enough fuel to last 30 days. Any fuel over 30 days old is added to my truck's fuel tank.

2. Shut the fuel off to the carb and let the carb run dry.

3. Use a fuel stabilizer year round.

4. All small engines should be run on unleaded gas. Lead (even low lead) leave deposits.

Yes you can run non ethanol and av gas fuel. Those fuels cost more and hurt performace.

I do have a station selling non ethanol fuel nearby. Fuel is $0.40 to $0.50 a gallon higher. I have heard of few that are having carb-performance issues using non ethanol fuel from that station.

I've been using E10 fuel for close to 15 years with no fuel related issues. The majority of the fuel-carb issues I see are do to poor fuel storage habits.

OldSkull 10-06-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merk (Post 434601)

I've been using E10 fuel for close to 15 years with no fuel related issues. The majority of the fuel-carb issues I see are do to poor fuel storage habits.

This don't explain all problem they got with Ethanol pipeline! The fuel is always "Fresh" in those pipe so why in the h... they get so rusty after a short period compare to the ethanol free one? It most be Murphy law...:RollEyes2:

Merk 10-06-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkull (Post 434602)
This don't explain all problem they got with Ethanol pipeline! The fuel is always "Fresh" in those pipe so why in the h... the get so rusty after a short period compare to the ethanol free one? It most be Murphy law...:RollEyes2:

Sounds like a supplier-pipeline issue to me. It wouldn't surprise me to see refiners adding water to cause issues.