Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Welding the drive hub? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49980)

Dirtybug 09-12-2017 07:38 PM

Welding the drive hub?

I've got a 105 with a worn drive hub that snaps pins. I'll hopefully be removing the rear to weld up the trunnions this winter and I'm wondering if anyone has welded the drive hub (once removed from engine) so it's back to factory without the track worn by the pin?
Other better / easier options?

olds45512 09-12-2017 07:44 PM

Contact Jeff, he makes new ones.

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20875

Jeff in Pa 09-12-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtybug (Post 432763)
I've got a 105 with a worn drive hub that snaps pins. I'll hopefully be removing the rear to weld up the trunnions this winter and I'm wondering if anyone has welded the drive hub (once removed from engine) so it's back to factory without the track worn by the pin?
Other better / easier options?

Not a good idea. The drive hub allows for the slight misalignment between the engine and the pump ( rear ). By welding the driveshaft to the hub, you will be transferring all the runout to the pump/rear.

Your rear coupler may be worn too. I guess I should put a "drive line package" together consisting of a drive hub, driveshaft and rear coupler at a slight discount over single piece pricing.

Dart1917 09-12-2017 09:22 PM

I think he's talking about building up the worn area back to the factory slot, not welding the shaft to the hub. If you are good with the welder and can get the worn area filled and the slot cleaned up like original without messing up the bore it should work. If you mess it up you can always get a new one from Jeff.

Jeff in Pa 09-12-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dart1917 (Post 432773)
I think he's talking about building up the worn area back to the factory slot, not welding the shaft to the hub. If you are good with the welder and can get the worn area filled and the slot cleaned up like original without messing up the bore it should work. If you mess it up you can always get a new one from Jeff.

Just make sure the pin can slide easily in the slot. Check the rear coupler for an egg shaped hole too. Excessive wobble at the rear coupler will cause problems at the drive hub.

Dirtybug 09-12-2017 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Once I get everything pulled apart I'll check everything and maybe try welding the hub back to new, it's great knowing I can get a replacement at a good price if mine doesn't work out.

charlie105 09-13-2017 06:23 PM

105 drive hub

After installing 2 "weld repaired" drive hubs I decided to order one from Jeff. I ended up replacing the entire drive line; hub, drive shaft, rag joint, and rear coupler. I only intended to get a new front hub, but after describing the symptoms ( loud banging in the drive line ), Jeff suggested I check the entire drive train. DUHHH .......! I found; the coil pin in the rear coupler had worked almost all the way out, and was only stopped by one of the rag joint bolts, the hydro input shaft seal was leaking, the rear coupler was wobbling and the rag joint was tearing ( I think because I..ummm may have over tightened the rag joint bolts 5 years ago. My new problem is how do I drive the rear coupler coil pin through the the hydro input shaft without supporting the shaft, and damaging the shaft bearings. The tractor is not split, and no I don't want to split it! Is there such a thing as a coil pin installation/removal press ? OK that's enough, I really have to ...

ol'George 09-13-2017 06:32 PM

A hydraulic or mechanical jack under the rear coupling will support it so you can hit the pin out, but I am not familiar with a narrow frame tractor and if there is access in the tunnel to it??

charlie105 09-13-2017 07:31 PM

Weld drive hub

The only access to the coupler pin is from underneath, and that is very limited. I can do it with a brass drift, and a brass hammer, but banging on the unsupported input shaft is unacceptable.

darkminion_17 09-13-2017 07:34 PM

It is much easier to split the tractor to gain access to the rear coupler, It would be a good time to clean and do some maintenance to the hydro unit whilest you have it out.