Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestion box (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Calender (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35241)

c69ss396 10-16-2014 06:21 PM

Calender

Its getting to be the end of the year. How about getting some pictures for a calendar for next year? We could sell them to support the site? Not to mention have some nice looking cubs to look at all year. We could theme it maybe? IE in the winter have them plowing and blowing, Summer mowing, spring tilling and plowing, fall clean up leaves and what not... The last time I was involved in this one of my trucks made the calender. We had them made up by cafepress.com It worked out good for our forum and I'm sure it would here.

cubby102 10-16-2014 07:16 PM

I think it'd be a good idea. Id buy one or two

j4c11 10-16-2014 08:22 PM

There's a precedent on this:

http://consumerist.com/2008/01/14/fo...-infringement/

This is the letter Ford wrote to the club:

"Although you and your members may own the Ford automobile, you do not own the rights to the trade dress. Taking pictures of any Ford automobiles, placing them on products (i.e. calendar, mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and making them available to the public for sale is an infringement of Ford's intellectual property rights."

"Because of the cachet of the world-famous Ford name, thousands of independent businesses and people make a living from or pursue a hobby related to Ford products and services. Unfortunately, many of these businesses improperly attempt to affiliate themselves with Ford by using Ford trademarks and trade dress (for instance, the depictions or photographs of Ford's distinctively shaped vehicles) in advertising their products and services."

"If a business not affiliated with Ford uses any Ford trademark, whether through the use of photographs, depictions or silhouettes, or any confusingly similar variation thereof, without Ford's express, written consent, then that business is violating Federal and state trademarks laws."

"It is also not sufficient for a business to state that it is not affiliated with Ford but continue to use Ford trademarks without permission. The business is still misappropriating the goodwill and reputation developed by Ford, and attempting to capitalize on or profit from Ford's goodwill and reputation. Even with the best of intentions, unauthorized use of another company's trademark is against the law."

"At times Ford enthusiasts question why Ford is so adamant about policing it's trademarks and preventing unauthorized uses or infringements of them. It is quite common for someone who is using a trademark without permission to say, "I'm giving Ford free advertising, so why does Ford care?" Ford cares because it is important that Ford be able to exercise control over the quality of the product or service bearing Ford's trademarks."

"To protect the value of its trademarks, Ford is obligated to object to and pursue unauthorized uses of its trademarks and trade dress, even if the use of the trademark or trade dress does not appear offensive or objectionable."

But maybe MTD won't mind.

c69ss396 10-16-2014 08:31 PM

We do calenders every year for a Custom Nissan forum I'm on with no issues. Every year it raises quite alot of money for the sites maintenance fee's and what not.

cubby102 10-16-2014 08:43 PM

Ok what about giving them away as free gifts to members that donate so much to the website. We used to do that on a old dodge forum awhile back before some big company bought the forum. Maybe even somewindow stickers

bocephus1991 10-17-2014 12:58 AM

They do classic tractor calendars an RFD channel, they sell those don't they?? And what about the Farmall calendar I get every year that Ken Updike does?

j4c11 10-17-2014 08:37 AM

It may just be a matter of obtaining permission from the trademark owner. I'm sure they're not all sticklers like Ford. Or you can just do it and maybe they won't care. I'm just pointing out it's grey area to just print and sell stuff using someone else's trademark and image without asking them first. The fact that other people do it doesn't make it less so.

jimbob200521 10-17-2014 01:00 PM

I'd be in for this, but if we did it, I think it'd be best if people donated to the site, then we sent out calendars for a certain $$ amount of donation. However, this is nowhere near my right to make the call on this :biggrin2:

Mods, any thoughts on this?

Oak 10-17-2014 03:17 PM

Do it like the ticket scalpers do. For $15 buy an OCC pencil and we will throw in a free calendar.

j4c11 10-17-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oak (Post 291676)
Do it like the ticket scalpers do. For $15 buy an OCC pencil and we will throw in a free calendar.

You sir are brilliant :beerchug: :biggrin2: