Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Front PTO connecting rod adjustment (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52376)

Wayne 06-08-2018 11:30 AM

Front PTO connecting rod adjustment

Is there an easy way by/for idiots to properly adjust their connecting rod? The pin came out of mine while I was mowing and i didn't realize it for a while, so it rattled around and "adjusted" itself out of adjustment. When i reconnected it, the deck belt wouldnt disengage. After several attempts the deck belt will at least engage/disengage now, but I'm guessing some fine tuning may be in order.

J-Mech 06-08-2018 11:49 AM

The procedure is in the owners manual I believe...
If not the service manual for sure. Both are available here for download. Pretty easy to do.

Wayne 06-21-2018 08:21 PM

Now that I'm running again, I see that my main pulley is barely moving and therefore neither is my deck belt and so my grass keeps getting taller still. What might be the source of this issue, and how can a dumb ass like me get to the bottom of it?

Jeff in Pa 06-21-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne (Post 457684)
Now that I'm running again, I see that my main pulley is barely moving and therefore neither is my deck belt and so my grass keeps getting taller still. What might be the source of this issue, and how can a dumb ass like me get to the bottom of it?

Post pictures. We might be able to see what is wrong

cooperino 06-21-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne (Post 457684)

When you say "main Pulley" you mean the clutch pulley? If its not turning when you engage it that would be a good place to start:beerchug:

Wayne 06-21-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 457687)
When you say "main Pulley" you mean the clutch pulley? If its not turning when you engage it that would be a good place to start:beerchug:

The pulley that drives the mower deck belt

cooperino 06-21-2018 08:50 PM

OK. so the PTO is not engaging,. When you move the pto lever can you see if the rod is pushing in and retracting the center of the pto? A couple of pictures would go a long way here as mentioned

Wayne 06-21-2018 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 457692)
OK. so the PTO is not engaging,. When you move the pto lever can you see if the rod is pushing in and retracting the center of the pto? A couple of pictures would go a long way here as mentioned

Yes the rod is moving the center, but even when I disconnected the rod and disengage the center completely its still not moving much at all.

My rod is undoubtedly out of adjustment, but shouldn't it spin freely when its disconnected? I'm happy to take pictures but it would help if I knew what you were looking for. I assume you know what the parts look like already. :biggrin2:

But here's a pic with the rod disconnected and connected

using the diagram here

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9

I'd say the pto brake seems wonky. Its wobbly anyway, and doesn't seem to fit the grooves that are presumably meant for it. But I've never messed with it before so I dont know how its supposed to look or feel

cooperino 06-21-2018 10:35 PM

Your first pic would be engaged position. Second would be disengaged. It it spins freely in first position theres something wrong with the clutch.. I would disassemble it and check all components are still in tact

Wayne 06-22-2018 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 457721)
Your first pic would be engaged position. Second would be disengaged. It it spins freely in first position theres something wrong with the clutch.. I would disassemble it and check all components are still in tact

I dont know how to take it apart or what to look for once I do. But I can read. Are there instructions?