Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Welcome to OnlyCubCadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hey from (chilly) New York (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50924)

cadetmike 12-22-2017 08:36 PM

Hey from (chilly) New York

Hello all!

Looks like I have found a wholesome forum with some great info! I am an experienced (auto) mechanic and I do a good bit of fabricating and tinkering with small engine stuff on the side.

I have owned a couple Cub's newer and older. My current project is a 122, I recently purchased a Brinly plow and fabricated a sleeve hitch for it along with a electric lift feature. I am currently working on doing a v-twin swap, and considering putting 26x12 ag tires on the rear. My problem is I cannot leave anything I own stock, soooo I would also like to paint the rig in a traditional red IH theme. The main use for the tractor will be plowing (snow and ground) as well as other utility work, so I am not much concerned about the affect of the modifications on fitting a mower deck. I am open to ideas and such for my project!

athomas 12-22-2017 10:17 PM

Welcome ! sounds like a good project, i'm sure you'll get some ideas here !:beerchug:

johncub7172 12-23-2017 12:35 AM

cadetmike Welcome to OCC! The best IH Cub Cadet forum on the net! Sounds like you are having fun with a custom build! Having two separate lifts on a gt is awesome. Lots of good help from the group. Post pictures, and ideas will be had!:biggrin2:

Merry Christmas!

jbrewer 12-23-2017 08:28 AM

Hello Mike and welcome.

I'm sure we'd enjoy pix of your project!

Bamafan 12-23-2017 08:38 AM

:Welcome2: Lots of great info. here. We like pics.

cadetmike 12-23-2017 09:20 AM

I appreciate all the feedback and interest! I will probably start a project thread in the "IH Tractors" section (with pictures). My biggest hold up at the moment is acquiring an engine, I have posted in "wanted" so we will see what turns up. This is a budget build, so I don't have $1500 to shell out on a new engine.

J-Mech 12-23-2017 09:31 AM

I have a suggestion:

Put a built up K series Kohler in your 122. No better engine suited for that tractor. If you are any good at being a mechanic, rebuilding that engine will be a breeze. You can do a cam upgrade with some other mods and I think you will find that single cylinder to be pretty impressive. No need to hack up the frame and go jamming an oversized v-twin in that lacks torque and doesn't fit.

26x12-12 tires on the rear are too big to plow with. Even on a 12" plow a 12" tire doesn't fit well in the dead furrow. All the guys who understand plowing know this as fact. The best plow tire is a 23x8.50-12. Plus, going to a larger tire screws pretty bad with your drive ratio. You'll have to do some gear swapping to get things back right again.

I'm sure you will ignore what I have to say, and lots of people who have never swapped a motor in anything or pulled a moldboard plow will tell you I'm wrong. Be careful who's advice you take.....

Welcome to the forum!

cadetmike 12-23-2017 11:18 AM

J-mech, thanks for the input. I appreciate the suggestions and insight, you make very good points. do you know if a 16hp k series will bolt into that frame?
I just want more hp and torque than the 12 is delivering.

IHinIN 12-23-2017 11:28 AM

A K301 12 hp is the largest engine that will fit without frame modification. The 14 & 16 hp have a larger flywheel and won’t fit between the frame rails.

Jmech is right about the 26x12x12 tires being too wide for plowing.

A 12 hp has plenty of power to pull a 10” plow

johncub7172 12-23-2017 11:35 AM

That to me sounds like excellent advice given! I'd stick with a bored out, rebuilt, and hopped up Iron Line Kohler K301 for your 122. Or, you might find a great running K301! They have power, and longevity! Unlike the expensive task of repowering a 82 Series.

Also, I have read many times that the rear tires standard to a SGT, also have the gear ratios proportioned correctly. To what degree I can't say. If this is going to be a budget build, then consider the suggestions.

Perhaps you are going to surprise us with a twin cylinder repower? :biggrin2: