Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Tractor pullers using Cub Cadets! (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need advice on pulling (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49886)

tmx43 09-02-2017 09:42 PM

Need advice on pulling

I bought a 1200 with the intent to build a stock puller. ive read all I can on the net but Im lost on where to start.at my local pullers say theres no one pulling stock only hot stock. I have a 341 magnum that I bought with the tractor. I have some boys that want to try pulling and would like to get them a couple of tractors. where is the best place to get info on building a puller? would a stock rear end and motor be be able to place or be competitive?

J-Mech 09-02-2017 11:18 PM

Best place to learn is from guys doing it.

Can a stocker compete against "hot stock"..... I suppose they can. Just not likely competitively. Everyone wants to get into pulling when their kids want to do it, not knowing how competitive a sport is really is. If you want to compete and be competitive, you're going to spend some money. Get ready.

As far as the rear end goes, stock will hold up to quite a bit of mods, but it's the gearing speed that may be an issue. Not to worry, Midwest Super Cub sells lots of parts to make it go faster. :biggrin2:

As far as your choice of tractor.... if you're just getting starter in the sport, look for a narrow frame tractor, or at the least a 1X9 tractor, to start with. That QL will need a lot of mods to the engine mounting system to make it work well. Only nice thing is it has a tunnel cover to make easy access to the driveline that will need beefed up to hold up to pulling.

tmx43 09-03-2017 04:58 PM

I know its like most sports it takes money to compete.i own 7 cub cadet already and ive got the basic down but theres a lot to learn in the pulling . theirs a lot of good information on here. would anyone know of a good engine builder near east tn ?

J-Mech 09-03-2017 07:12 PM

Most all the engine builders are in the midwest. Ohio, Illinois, Iowa.... I think there is a guy in North Carolina, but don't know his name. Just *thinking* there is a guy out there.

dvogtvpe 09-03-2017 07:15 PM

if they offer a stock class even if no one pulls it start there. if the kids like it start jumping up a class then maybe build towards it. you do need wheelie bars , draw bar , kill switch and weight frames no matter which class you run , get a feel for it and decide if you want to do more

tmx43 09-04-2017 10:33 PM

that's good advice. im trying to build the 1200 to pull . the boys have other cubs to play with. my 11 year old mowed the yard today with a 1250 and said he loved it. I have a kohler m16 I got from a puller who started trying to mount it in a narrow frame. he had removed the head and oil pan ,flywheel,bearing plate.now I have to try and get the missing parts rounded up.

J-Mech 09-04-2017 11:23 PM

A Mag motor isn't a good choice. Point ignition has easily adjustable timing, which you will need to get the most out of your motor. Need to find a K series motor.

austin8214 09-06-2017 05:23 PM

Mag engine isn't a horrible choice depending on how much you plan to modify it. Once you go so far with modifications it's best to use a crank trigger ignition setup. However for stock class points ignition is definitely preferred.

tmx43 09-08-2017 09:31 AM

I bought the motor and it dont have any ignition parts with it so I thought I would use mwsc trigger ignition. I also need the correct carb for it also.

dvogtvpe 09-10-2017 03:43 PM

check with your club if they will let you run a crank trigger before you buy one