Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   123 carb adjustment help! (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13539)

dieseldan123 10-01-2011 03:26 PM

123 carb adjustment help!

Ok Im in desprite need to get the carb set on my 123. Ive tried the settings recogmended per the books (Kohler repair manual, and 123 repair manual) and it runs ok at times. Tried the moving the spring on the governor arm to different hole and get varring results, such as it will start great at first. shut it off and try again and it wont fire. Im wanting it set so i dont have to have the choke fully closed just to run it, and eleminate the K301 from hunting for fuel and air. Any help is welcome and if i could have some pics from you all with your carbs set and how many turns the screws are would be excellent!

Merk 10-01-2011 07:25 PM

What is condition of the throttle shaft?

A loose throttle shaft will cause the problem you are having.

Cub Cadet 123 10-01-2011 07:32 PM

I keep the idler screw at 2 1/2 turns and the fuel screw at 2 to 2 1/4. When was the last time that you did a rebuild of that carb? Also, you may want to change your petcock....the new stens replacement has a filter that goes up in the tank. You may want to check your entire fuel system to see if you have anything obstructing it (sediment bowl, filter, line).....

Cub Cadet 123

dieseldan123 10-01-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merk (Post 93998)
What is condiation of the throttle shaft?

A loose throttle shaft will cause the problem you are having.

How do i tell if the throttle shaft is worn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cub Cadet 123 (Post 93999)
I keep the idler screw at 2 1/2 turns and the fuel screw at 2 to 2 1/4. When was the last time that you did a rebuild of that carb? Also, you may want to change your petcock....the new stens replacement has a filter that goes up in the tank. You may want to check your entire fuel system to see if you have anything obstructing it (sediment bowl, filter, line).....

Cub Cadet 123

I did the rebuild on the carb this spring, and also replaced the petcock and bowl under the tank. I do have a rust problem with my current tank, found that out today after filling up wit gas and watching the rust collect in the sediment bowl, but i do have another good tank that i will be on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies!

westofb 10-01-2011 08:40 PM

To tell if your throttle shaft (or carb hole the shaft sets in, that is usually the worn area), just grab the throttle shaft and wiggle it side to side, any side to side movement indicates wear. If it does move, kohler has a bushing that presses into the recessed area of the top of the carb that the throttle shaft passes through, it cures your problem (worn throttle shafts let excess air pass through the carb causing it to run erratically).

Just looked at my build thread (cub 149 Resto mod), see post number 30, there is a pic of the bushing (including the bag it came in with part number) from kohler to repair a loose throttle shaft.

dieseldan123 10-01-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westofb (Post 94022)
To tell if your throttle shaft (or carb hole the shaft sets in, that is usually the worn area), just grab the throttle shaft and wiggle it side to side, any side to side movement indicates wear. If it does move, kohler has a bushing that presses into the recessed area of the top of the carb that the throttle shaft passes through, it cures your problem (worn throttle shafts let excess air pass through the carb causing it to run erratically).

Just looked at my build thread (cub 149 Resto mod), see post number 30, there is a pic of the bushing (including the bag it came in with part number) from kohler to repair a loose throttle shaft.

Thanks Jeff! Went out and wiggled the shaft, WAY too much slop in it than i like. Thanks for the help with the part number! :beerchug:

_DX3_ 10-01-2011 09:22 PM

Or your local hardware store might have it like mine did :)

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10329