Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Gardens, Lawns and Landscapes (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Spreading Lime? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50878)

Tim.E 12-17-2017 06:37 PM

Spreading Lime?

I need to spread AG lime on 5 acres. From what I read,a broadcast spreader will not work for this.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to spread it or ideas on building a drop spreader ?
Thank You

IHinIN 12-17-2017 08:52 PM

All of the farmers around here broadcast lime on their fields.

john hall 12-17-2017 09:01 PM

Well, this is going to vary by region. It is my understanding that all areas of the US do not require liming. Where I am does. For agricultural purposes we generally spread 1 ton to the acre. The 2 guys I use can only haul 8 tons on their spreader trucks. It cost about $43 per ton for them to spread it. When applying this volume we generally work off a soil sample to verify rate of application. Modern spreader trucks are running GPS and can vary the rate per acre with just punching a couple buttons.

Now if you only want to put out a low rate, you have 2 options. You can buy pelletized lime and spread just fine with a conventional spreader, its a little dustier than putting out fertilizer, but not much. I have used powdered lime in a spreader but it was a pain. First let me clear I am talking about a 3pt spreader behind a farm tractor, not a lawn mower. For those you there is a arm with cross bars and a rubber wheel that hooks into the standard agitator. This extra arm serves to agitate the powder well enough that it will fall thru. I do NOT recommend this method as it is really messy and both you and the tractor engine will suck up way too much dust.

There is a third option. The same places that spread lime on a for hire basis generally rent small tow behind spreaders that hold 5-6 tons. Now its going to take at least a 45hp tractor to pull it, and your ground better not be soft. Also, you have to tow it down the highway and most likely it doesn't have brakes, so you'll need something ample to handle it.

Grain buying stations or farm seed/fertilizer dealers are the folks you talk to about getting lime spread or renting equipment. Even if you only need a low rate, price them for your materials as opposed to a garden center of big box store.

Hope this helps. As for me, I just hire the spreader trucks, fast, efficient--and a wild ride if you get in the cab with them--not for those with bad backs!

Tim.E 12-17-2017 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What I mean is this kind won't work with the AG lime.
I am looking to find a way to spread it with a Cub Cadet .

john hall 12-17-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim.E (Post 441221)
What I mean is this kind won't work with the AG lime.
I am looking to find a way to spread it with a Cub Cadet .

That's what I'm talking about. Some of those come with an attachment that hooks right in the agitator.. Its about a foot long, has a couple bends in it with short cross bars welded to it and has a rubber wheel that rides on the inside of the funnel. It is a mess when you do it this way--and not real healthy for you or the tractor.

How much do you intend on putting per acre? With you suggesting a drop spreader it must be a really low rate. On our soil type a rate that low isn't even worth the trouble. We generally don't even bother with lime unless we need a minimum of 1,000 lb per acre.

Tim.E 12-17-2017 09:25 PM

At least 1 ton per acre.

john hall 12-17-2017 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of what I am talking about. They don't really mention it for powdered lime, but it will work if the lime is dry (bagged). I used to work at a housing development and the homeowners board bought all the supplies for reseeding the common grounds. Needless to say they went with the cheapest bid and bought powdered lime. You should have seen the swimming pool and tennis courts when we were done.:biggrin2:

If you are seriously wanting 1 ton per acre, the easy way out will be to hire a spreader truck. Takes him 1/2 hr and you hand the driver a check. The only large drop spreaders I have ever seen are like 1950's or older. I'd hate to shovel 5+ tons of lime. If you have some small areas a spreader truck can't go, you can always buy some bags of pellet lime for those.

Sam Mac 12-18-2017 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The guy that cuts the hay at my place take care of the lime and fertilizer :beerchug: