Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Kohler Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Kohler engines offered in Cubs... (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49624)

Bits-n-pieces 08-08-2017 10:17 PM

Kohler engines offered in Cubs...

Hello fellas...
Our club rules say we can't pull with a tractor that has an engine it wasnt offered with from the factory....
So my question is...what model cubs were offered with either a 22 or 25 horsepower engine?
We are fixin to build a pulled for our 1400 lb class and want to be sure and start with correct model tractor.
Brian, Grant & Spencer

Leadslingingdaddy 08-09-2017 07:38 AM

Does it have to be model specific???

J-Mech 08-09-2017 07:56 AM

The only tractors with that big of a motor in it is a hydrostat. You have to get into the 3000 series or newer to find that big of a motor. Now your talking a bit of cash just to get a tractor, that with a hydrostatic trans won't carry the engine power to the wheels. Plus, the rear ends in those machines aren't known to be as good as the older machines.

I don't care what you do, but if it was me, I'd be finding an old Cub Cadet with a gear drive trans and building the motor up to play with. I promise, you can get a lot of HP out of an old 14 or 16hp Kohler K series... but all that means nothing if it's in a hydrostatic tractor.

john hall 08-09-2017 12:13 PM

I think my 2284 has a 22hp.

J-Mech 08-09-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 429742)
I think my 2284 has a 22hp.

And it's hydrostatic.....

Plus, depending on the rules, they may not let a SGT compete.

Baccarat 08-09-2017 05:57 PM

I have to agree with Jon on the transmission.
Without knowing "All the Rules" it is difficult to help out on the question. If the only rule is the engine to tractor match, that might open the door for starting with John's 2284 (if they allow the SGT) or Jon's 3000 series and then coupling that engine up to a manual transmission (with a creeper gear?) to a good cast iron rear end from an older unit.
The question then is how many dollars are they willing to spent?

J-Mech 08-09-2017 07:04 PM

No creeper gears for pulling. You don't need slow, you need the speed. Momentum lets you go just a little farther.

john hall 08-09-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 429746)
And it's hydrostatic.....

Plus, depending on the rules, they may not let a SGT compete.

Hey, just answering the HP question.
Whats the logic behind not allowing SGT? The pulls I have been to always ran weight classes, just like farm tractors.

J-Mech 08-09-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 429775)
Hey, just answering the HP question.
Whats the logic behind not allowing SGT? The pulls I have been to always ran weight classes, just like farm tractors.

They may or may not allow them.... but to some people, they are just "bigger" and could be perceived as an advantage. If it's allowed, that is fine. :beerchug:

But again, a hydro tractor doesn't make as good of a pulling tractor.

johncub7172 08-10-2017 12:41 AM

I've enjoyed pulling my model 71 in front of a nice transfer sled in the 850 class, bone stock!

True about the hydro trans being second to the all-gear in the pulling sport! We all know IH built a much better, stronger garden tractor than "good old boy" John Deere. When IH designed the Original and used the Farm All Cub tractor trans for it, that was it! You could never ask for a better "real" tractor trans in a garden tractor than that of the IH Cub Cadet!

I like the idea of maybe using a 582 and "soup" up the engine and trans a bit, even though it's not a 22 hp. engine to start with. Of if that's the darn case, keep the 582 and move to another group of pullers.

Anyone know what the diesel Cub Cadets were rated at for hp.?