Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Neighbor's 1872 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49961)

FrankF3 09-10-2017 08:19 PM

Neighbor's 1872

My next door neighbor went on vacation for a few weeks. Came back home and his lawn needed mowing. He tried to start his 1872 but the battery was dead. He called me over since I have been involved with cub cadets too. We put a car starter/jumper on it and when he tried to start it, the engine rolled/turned over maybe 1/2 a turn to a full turn based on the number of compression strokes we heard, then just stopped. Repeated attempts to start only result with the solenoid clicking and no turning over. It is like the engine is stuck. The battery is fully charged on the charger now, and when you attempt to turn it over both the positive cable and the neg cables from the battery can get quite warm.

Ideas on what to tell him to check first and an easy way to see what happened? My first ideas are the starter and the gov cam gear. Not necessarily in that order.

I was thinking of trying to spin it over manually to see if I can do that or if the starter bendix has jammed up somehow.

Thanks....

DeltaCub 09-10-2017 08:24 PM

Do you smell fuel? Could one or both of the cylinders be filled with gas from a leaking needle/seat? Check oil level to see if it over filled.

DeltaCub 09-10-2017 08:27 PM

Remove the spark plugs and try turning the engine over by hand. If fuel dribbles out then there is your answer. :beerchug:

FrankF3 09-10-2017 09:15 PM

DeltaCub, thanks, good call. When I was over there, we did not smell fuel and the oil level was just below the full mark. When I see my neighbor in the morning, I'll pass this along to him. He should be able to test this out and pull the plugs. I'll report what he finds from this.

V30crewcab 09-10-2017 10:36 PM

once you get past the possible fuel situation, start checking battery cable connections. grounds especially.

bleoh 09-11-2017 07:48 AM

On my 1872 I have had the starter get jammed when the battery was low. Had to rock the crankshaft back and forth to un-jam it. I just put a socket on the PTO bolt.

Brian

jwalking 09-11-2017 09:44 AM

Had the same problem with my 1872 after it sat awhile. Sure enough the fuel drained into the cylinders and crankcase. Pulled the plugs and pumped the fuel out and changed the oil. In addition to changing the needle and seat I added an inline fuel shutoff under the hood, just in case.

zippy1 09-11-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalking (Post 432649)
Had the same problem with my 1872 after it sat awhile. Sure enough the fuel drained into the cylinders and crankcase. Pulled the plugs and pumped the fuel out and changed the oil. In addition to changing the needle and seat I added an inline fuel shutoff under the hood, just in case.

There already is a "shut off" on the bottom of the fuel tank.:beerchug:

FrankF3 09-13-2017 12:51 AM

Thanks for all the things to look for. Next time I head over, I'll have a full bag of tricks to help him out with.

olds45512 09-13-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy1 (Post 432713)
There already is a "shut off" on the bottom of the fuel tank.:beerchug:

The shut off in the bottom of the tank requires removing the side panel to shut it off, when I had my 1811 I added an in line shut off right before the pump so all I had to do was open the hood.