Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Briggs & Stratton Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Valve guide question (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33084)

Oak 07-07-2014 09:59 AM

Valve guide question

1 Attachment(s)
Okay guys, I pulled the engine on the 3165 to pull the tins and check for cooling issues and figured it would be a good time to adjust the valves if needed. That's where the fun started. I noticed on the #1 cylinder (opposite the oil filter) the valve push rod was bending each time it would lift the valve. It looks like the valve guide started backing out of the head and limiting the valve movement causing the push rod to bend.

What do I need to do at this point? I'm thinking if I push it back in it will work its way back out and if I replace it, will the new one do the same. Looks like a quick search on a new head is a little over $200. I'm not sure what it would cost if I take it to a machine shop to have them repair it but I'm thinking that would be at least $100.

Here you can see the guide on the left is backing out.
Attachment 53730

Sam Mac 07-07-2014 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Todd

Had the same issue with the engine that came out of that 1641 I bought from Earl AKA DaDuke. I just pressed it back it, cleaned the crud off the valves and replaced the bent pushrods. The engine is now in my pressure washer. So far it's been running fine. Think it pushed the guide up because it got hot. Engine had so many things screwed up on it I'm surprised it even ran. I'm not suggesting that you do what I did on one that will be worked hard.

Oak 07-07-2014 10:24 AM

Wow, those rods are bent! Should I use some type of retaining compound like loctite or just push them back in?

Sam Mac 07-07-2014 10:36 AM

If it was me I'd check with a machine shop about putting in some knurled valve guides in those heads if someone makes them. Don't think Loc-Tite will work with the heat.

J-Mech 07-07-2014 06:06 PM

You can use sleeve retainer lock-tite. It's made for dry sleeved motors. But, I'm with Sam, if you going to use it hard, then I'd get another head. Been my experience with any aluminum head that once the guide comes out, they generally won't stay put. I guess you can try sleeve retainer and knurling it (good idea Sam).... if it doesn't work you'll be back where you are now. :bigthink:

Oak 07-08-2014 08:19 AM

Well, I'm selling this tractor and I hate to dump more money into it but I don't want to sell someone a ticking time bomb either. I did some searching and I tried Pats Small Engine Plus for parts. I ordered a new head, push rod, front and rear seals, exhaust gasket, (4) head bolts and a new starter gear for a total of about $250 shipped. I called a local machine shop that works on small engines but they said i would be better off replacing it...I kinda figured that was what they were going to say. Now me and the dog gotta look for the big brown truck.:biggrin2:

Sam Mac 07-08-2014 08:50 AM

Todd

Your a good guy, most people would just hammer the guide back down and send it down the road. Did you also order intake gaskets?

Maxwelhse 07-09-2014 03:08 AM

I think that's beyond being a good guy for wanting to sell it! Knurled guide and loc-tite would have been "good guy" status.

If I need to buy another anything I'm coming to "Oak" first! :)

Mike McKown 07-09-2014 09:11 AM

Maybe a far fetched idea since I haven't looked closely at a Vanguard valve guide.

Could the head/guide be drilled and then pin the guide in place?

Mike McKown 12-01-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Mac (Post 272232)
Todd

Had the same issue with the engine that came out of that 1641 I bought from Earl AKA DaDuke. I just pressed it back it, cleaned the crud off the valves and replaced the bent pushrods. The engine is now in my pressure washer. So far it's been running fine. Think it pushed the guide up because it got hot. Engine had so many things screwed up on it I'm surprised it even ran. I'm not suggesting that you do what I did on one that will be worked hard.

Sam,

Is your 16 Vanguard still running on that shade tree fix?

I picked up a low hour 1641 a couple days ago and it had a guide that had slipped up and bent the pushrod. I hammered it back down and straigtened the pushrod and it is now going up and down like it's supposed to.

I haven't gotten the engine hot yet so I don't know if it will last or not. Didn't figure I had much to lose.

I just wondered how yours came out?