Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Cub 124 Hard to Start--my first post (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51186)

JacksCubcadet124 01-28-2018 07:24 AM

Cub 124 Hard to Start--my first post

Hi, Cub Cadeters:

I have a 124 that wouldn't start. I changed the plug (216), points, and condenser. After I attached the jumper pack it would try to start puff smoke and eventually run great!

How can I make my tractor start easier? Should I replace the coil and increase the gap in the plug?

All help is greatly appreciated.

:American Flag 1:

R Bedell 01-28-2018 07:39 AM

First, welcome to OCC...... :Welcome2:

Quote:

After I attached the jumper pack it would try to start puff smoke and eventually run great!
You state you added extra battery capacity (Jumpering) leads me to think that the original battery is not up to par. Charge up the battery and take to a reputable testing place and have it "load" tested. If weak, replace it.

john hall 01-28-2018 07:53 AM

Like Roland said, your battery sounds weak---address that first. If that doesn't solve it, post what you gapped the plug at and did you install the points per Kohlers static timing instructions. Yes its more work to install this way but you will be more than pleased with the results. If this doesn't solve it, then start chasing other possible trouble--bad wiring, coil, fuel issues. Be systematic with your troubleshooting and report your results back. :beerchug:

JacksCubcadet124 01-28-2018 08:16 AM

I learned something new

i just Googled Kohlers static timing instructions and will try it today. :bigthink:

Thanks a million!!

john hall 01-28-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksCubcadet124 (Post 445107)
i just Googled Kohlers static timing instructions and will try it today. :bigthink:

Thanks a million!!

If you look in the technical section here on OCC, you will probably find the Kohler manual as well as IH manuals for that and many other machines as well.

By the way, try searching past posts for static timing. There have been some really good suggestions. Hardest part is seeing the mark on the flywheel--especially if its rusty. Common sense will tell you its going to be viewable about the time the points open, but it can still be hard to find--seems the mark isn't always dead in front of the hole, kind of off to one side.

twoton 01-28-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksCubcadet124 (Post 445101)
.....How can I make my tractor start easier?.....

Does this mean it cranks well but has a hard time firing off or doesn't crank well or... what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 445102)
..... Charge up the battery and take to a reputable testing place and have it "load" tested. If weak, replace it.

Once you have confirmed that you have a good battery that is fully charged, start working your way "down stream" with a meter through the wiring harness ( starting circuit if you're having a hard time getting it to crank well) and verify that you have the same battery voltage along the way. A sudden drop in voltage will indicate corrosion or faulty wiring, switches etc...

Wiring diagram is in the tech section under tractors.

R Bedell 01-28-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

i just Googled Kohlers static timing instructions and will try it today.
Your timing can be spot on but if you have a "weak battery", you still have a problem.

JacksCubcadet124 01-28-2018 10:34 AM

Does this mean it cranks well but has a hard time firing off or doesn't crank well or... what?

Both - I attached jumpers and it cranks faster, so I know my battery is weak, but it takes a while before it actually runs.

I have a spark tester on the plug wire and confirm it is firing, just takes some work to get her going. Once running sounds excellent. Also, smokes a bit while cranking.

Based on the description, i think the timing is off. Please correct me if you think i am wrong. I am truly open to learning from you guys. :bash:

Since it's a 50 year old tractor and 95% original, it wouldn't surprise me if the wiring or switches are corroded

R Bedell 01-28-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

I know my battery is weak
Replace it with the largest CCA rated Battery, that will fit in your Battery Box.

JacksCubcadet124 01-28-2018 11:00 AM

will do :)