Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A Very Amateur IH Red Spray Paint Comparison (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30005)

gsomersjr 02-13-2014 04:42 PM

A Very Amateur IH Red Spray Paint Comparison

2 Attachment(s)
I'm testing IH red spray paint brands to find a close match for my 782. I have 3 brands, from left to right: Krylon-too dark, Majic(Tractor Supply)-too pink, Rustoleum-closest so far. I used a heat gun to remove the vinyl stripe at the bottom of the hood. That's where I'm trying to match it. This is a very quick, amateur spray out (I even got runs) so take it fwiw.

mjsoldcub 02-13-2014 05:22 PM

Good info...i found that majik crap from tsc to be a complete waste of money..valspar, compared to say ppg, or even the case ih paint is nothing special, but FAR superior to what tsc replaced it with...my local fleet farm changed brands too, havent tried that, if the quality is anything like the color selection it will be garbage too...thankyou e.p.a

Trekrider60 02-20-2014 11:32 AM

gsomersjr,

Thanks for the info. I used the Majic on a weight bracket I made and it looked ok, but seeing your pics changed my mind. I just finished spraying my gas tank with the Rustoleum IH red and it looks much better. I can't wait till the weather warms up and I can spray the entire tractor.

SGragg 02-20-2014 12:44 PM

Good info to have. Thanks. Have heard horror stories about drying time with Majic paint. Not impressed with the color either.

J-Mech 02-20-2014 12:48 PM

Why does everyone want to try the "cheap" paints when the real colors are still available from the dealers? :bigthink:

cubby102 02-20-2014 01:52 PM

When I used the Malik brand on my original I absolutly hated it. Took for ever to dry and was still "soft" after almost 2 weeks.

gsomersjr 02-20-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 244549)
Why does everyone want to try the "cheap" paints when the real colors are still available from the dealers? :bigthink:

Because my nearest dealer is an hour away and the hardware store is under 5 minutes. Besides, IH isn't in the paint business. One of these other paint companies is making it for them.

J-Mech 02-20-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsomersjr (Post 244557)
Because my nearest dealer is an hour away and the hardware store is under 5 minutes. Besides, IH isn't in the paint business. One of these other paint companies is making it for them.

I really doubt one of those other companies are making it. I would imagine it is DuPont, Jones Blair, PPG..... I really think you will find that you get what you pay for in paint. Get a cheap air compressor, a $20 paint gun and shoot it with decent paint. Dries quicker, lasts longer, won't fade, looks better. Rattle cans are for small parts and touch ups. Just my :TwoCents:

gsomersjr 02-20-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 244571)
I really doubt one of those other companies are making it. I would imagine it is DuPont, Jones Blair, PPG..... I really think you will find that you get what you pay for in paint. Get a cheap air compressor, a $20 paint gun and shoot it with decent paint. Dries quicker, lasts longer, won't fade, looks better. Rattle cans are for small parts and touch ups. Just my :TwoCents:

I understand the point you are making, and you are correct, but this thread wasn't started to debate rattle can versus gun. It was started to compare my findings on spray paint color match, which some members are interested in. There are plenty of other threads to debate the best way to paint. All I want to achieve is a 7 and 7 paint job. If it looks good from 7 feet at 7 mph I'm happy. Now if I had Cub Cadet #1 or a 169, 800, etc. I would be doing it the way you recommend and not my shade tree approach.

dgrapes59 02-20-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 244571)

FYI, the last HI Federal Yellow paint I bought at an IH dealer was in a case with a Valspar Corporation sticker on it. I really like IH Iron Gard paint and I always had good luck with Valspar paint as well. I have found IH dealers have better prices on paint than Cub Cadet dealers, in my area at least.

Good luck,