Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Implements and Attachments (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Haban deck repairs (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47912)

Terry C 03-21-2017 09:55 PM

Haban deck repairs

1 Attachment(s)
Is this a common problem with the Haban deck?
Both sides are suffering with this problem. Makes the blades sit at quite an angle
Probably a little heat and a BFH to flatten. Then make a plate for the bottom to distribute the stress like the center spindle has.

Dirty Steve 03-22-2017 05:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Terry,

You must be working on a Haban 325. From what I have seen those are the only Haban that had the plate under the middle bearing cup. I have had two of those decks and both had similar damage to yours. One I had fixed by having plates welded under the outside bearing cup holes. The other will need the same work to be brought into service.

Most agree these big decks on Cub Cadet SGT were used as commercial mowers prior to the advent of zero turn mowers. And they had the pi$$ beat out of them.

For some reason I took the time to paint the center plate on mine yellow when I rehabbed the deck. You can see the plates which were added to the outside holes. The round black ones. Although it did not turn out perfect there is less than an 1/8 inch height difference between any blade tip so I am happy. Cuts real nice.

My only warning is putting more metal below the deck gave less bolt length to work with on the bearing cup mounting bolts.

Dirty Steve 03-22-2017 05:45 AM

Oddly, I have had 2 Haban 374's and neither had the outer bearing cup holes twisted like the 325's. Maybe they are a lighter gauge steel??

Oh, and a BFH and heat wrench will help but a plate underneath is necessary to hold it in place. :beerchug:

Terry C 03-22-2017 02:10 PM

Thanks. The flange on the spindle needed a little massaging too. :bash2:
But if it was easy, what fun would that be? :biggrin2:

Terry C 03-27-2017 01:08 PM

New pulleys

1 Attachment(s)
Got new assemble yourself pulleys today.
Have to make a custom key though. It's a 25mm shaft with a 1/4 key. Hubs came with a standard metric size key way. Should have ordered the hubs with no keyway and broached the 1/4 myself.:bash2:
I wasn't paying cub cadet $60 for a pulley. :biggrin2:

Dirty Steve 03-28-2017 01:11 PM

Terry, is that set up for a single outer spindle or your making a double pulley for the center?:bigthink:

Terry C 03-28-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Steve (Post 413789)
Terry, is that set up for a single outer spindle or your making a double pulley for the center?:bigthink:

Bought two sets, one for spare. :beerchug:

ol'George 03-28-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry C (Post 413639)
Have to make a custom key though. It's a 25mm shaft with a 1/4 key. Hubs came with a standard metric size key way. Should have ordered the hubs with no keyway and broached the 1/4 myself.:bash2:

Just broach the keyway you want *45 from the one already in it.
Or mill a step key to adapt to what you want.
Or as long as the keyway you want, is bigger than the one in it now, you can just push the broach right over the existing keyway. :beerchug:

Terry C 03-28-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 413831)
Just broach the keyway you want *45 from the one already in it.
Or mill a step key to adapt to what you want.
Or as long as the keyway you want, is bigger than the one in it now, you can just push the broach right over the existing keyway. :beerchug:

Ideally I would just enlarge the keyway in the shaft to 8mm. This isn't a good plan with the 1/2nf threads in the shaft. Keyway would almost break into the threads.
I like the idea of broaching 45deg away from the existing. That's easier than making a step key.

samckitt 01-20-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry C (Post 413639)

Can you give PN of the pulleys you are using? I need to replace the center pulleys.
Thx