Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Painting the miscellaneous (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46626)

Baccarat 11-17-2016 09:55 AM

Painting the miscellaneous

I am going to have a local strip & paint company doing the stripping & painting of the frame, mower deck & a few of the larger items off of a Cadet 95. They will spray the color based on the Paint Chart information that I have found here which is a 935 white.

I plan on rattle can painting the miscellaneous bolts, nuts, etc. Is there a way to cross reference the correct spray can number to the quart can number? I noticed on the paint chart that with the exception of IH & CC, none of the other paint sources show any spray can options.

Mike

Randy Littrell 11-17-2016 02:56 PM

You will have a difficult time matching a traditional paint color to a rattle can. I would try to prep all your other items first and let them paint them all at once. Sometimes you can go back to where they mixed your paint the first time and it won't match to next time you buy it. I try to buy enough paint to make sure I can paint the whole tractor and have some left over for any mistakes.

Randy

john hall 11-17-2016 07:57 PM

Some paint suppliers can mix paint and put it into rattle cans. The local Sherwin Williams can't but one about 45 min. away can--we have it done so we have touch-up paint available to match one of our customers equipment in their plant. Maybe you could get a couple spray cans mixed at the same time you get your regular paint mixed.

olds45512 11-17-2016 08:44 PM

I would just buy new nuts & bolts, there cheap and you don't have to worry about chipping the paint off them when your putting it together. It also makes it easier if you need to work on it in the future.

Terry C 11-17-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 399809)
I would just buy new nuts & bolts, there cheap and you don't have to worry about chipping the paint off them when your putting it together. It also makes it easier if you need to work on it in the future.

X2! That's twice in one day we agree, bad sign. :biggrin2:

OldSkull 11-17-2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

X3 What he said! That's what I do and new nickel plating bolt look good! :beerchug:

Someone as referred Dupli color School bus yellow ($7) to be a pretty good match, I try it on small parts, nuts and bolts and I like the result! No more expensive Cub Cadet yellow spray paint can for me!:biggrin2:

zippy1 11-17-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's fine unless he's going for the original painted bolt look, then he still has to have the hardware painted...:bigthink:

olds45512 11-18-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry C (Post 399835)
X2! That's twice in one day we agree, bad sign. :biggrin2:

You should just accept the fact that I'm always right and agree with whatever I say.:biggrin2:

olds45512 11-18-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy1 (Post 399838)
Yeah that's fine unless he's going for the original painted bolt look, then he still has to have the hardware painted...:bigthink:

Then he should do what they did at the factory and paint the tractor while it's assembled.

Baccarat 11-18-2016 11:50 AM

There are a lot of good ideas here.

I'm not sure that I would be a fan of painting the whole tractor assembled as they did in the factory. Things that should not be painted at all seem to get painted. I.E. the steering links, springs, etc. Things that should be painted don't get full coverage.

My first instinct was to simply replace the nuts, bolts and washers unpainted. I'm not sure that I like the looks of that, but won't dismiss it either. I did plan on replacing all of the mounting hardware anyway.

I thought of testing spray cans and finding a color that is as close as possible to the frame & mower deck. That might take a hit and miss approach, hoping to find one that is close enough. Having the paint manufacturer custom supply a few spray cans is one option that I didn't know could be done and is something that I will check into.

One other thought that I had was to get a hobbyist "air brush" and use the actual paint supplied. Has anyone tried that? It would or could give me the absolute color match. Also, I could assemble some of the work and then "touch up" the bolt heads and nuts as I proceed further along. I am not sure that it is a workable solution, but seems to be a possibility. Any thoughts on this course of action?