Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   100 wont start (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11148)

staylor1650 05-28-2011 06:44 PM

100 wont start

I cant seem to get my recently purchased 100 running. I put a compression gauge on it but it barely registered. I have gas spitting out the carb and it has spark (kinda weak spark). It has a new head gasket, spark plug, carb kit, wire, coil, points, condenser, and oil pan gasket. Any thoughts..??

R Bedell 05-28-2011 06:51 PM

Sounds like you have one or both of the Valves stuck open or not closing properly.

V@rmint 05-28-2011 10:56 PM

Tough to go by a compression test as the K241 has a compression release. Gotta get it spinning fast enough to overcome it.

staylor1650 05-29-2011 12:56 AM

so if it is a stuck valve everything seemed to be alright when i had the engine pulled but i can maybe check the gap, my shop foreman did say that it is supposed to be a ten horse but was bored close to a twelve and i did notice a slight score on the cylinder, but back to the valve if it is stuck how can i tell and how can i fix it

JSampson 05-29-2011 03:17 AM

well if you are spitting gas then you have plenty of gas. If you have spark then you are getting fire ( if it's a little weak then close the gap a little to get a stronger spark.) There should be no reason you are not making fire. If you take the head back off make sure you did put a little oil on the valves so they are lubed a little. ( I do mean a little) otherwise it could be a timing issue, check the points to make sure you are getting the right timing. hard to diagnose an engine over the internet without asking questions.

Are you smelling gas, or exhaust?

gas means no combustion. (adjust timing and ensure good spark. I prefer to lay shut off the gas and lay the plug on the block where I can see the spark and turn the engine over so I can visually see the spark on the plug. ) timing I never had to do or look up.

If you are smelling exhaust then I bet you have an improper air fuel mixture. (fail to run would mean low fuel, - open the idle jet more on side rear of carb then apply choke and start.) when running adjust as necessary.
If you got exhaust but it was dark then you are too rich, but in this case you would probbably be running, unless you are flooding it, then the jet needles would have to be open way too wide. (fitting with the spitting fuel out carb.) Simply adjust down to fully closed then turn back 2 turns and attempt to start.

Hope this helps, and I hope you dont have a mechanical problem.:bash2:

staylor1650 05-29-2011 11:09 PM

it doesn't do anything it just cranks there is no spit or sputter it has never attemped to fire but if i take the plug out there is a spark not a huge one but it is there
fuel i have fuel dripping out where i bolt my air filter on
exhaust i smell nothing

why is fuel dripping out of the carb i figured it should be getting sucked into the engine

JSampson 05-30-2011 01:22 AM

check your battery to make sure you are getting 12 volts to the coil, shut the fuel bowl off and spray a little starter fluid in the carb neck (a little = 2-3 short squirts) when you turn her over after that you should get her to run for a few seconds, it will fire up and run but then die off quickly. If you cant get her to run off starter fluid for a short burst than it is probbably either an ignition problem or the previously mentioned valve problem. keep us updated.

cc_bob 05-30-2011 10:53 AM

Sounds like an intake valve is stuck open. It should be closed when trying to push out the exhaust, if open the exhaust pressure will force gas out the carb.

You can remove the carb and breather plate and watch the valves. If one sticks open the lift will move but the valve won't.

Sometimes you can get them un-stuck by spraying some PB blaster in the plug hole and in the valve itself (with the breather off). A little pressure with a screw driver on each side of the spring may help to get it moving too.

Leave the plug out, the carb and breather off and bump it over. Push the valve back down and do it again. Repeat this until you get complete movement of the valve.

Be sure to change your oil when your done though and good luck. Always add a cap full of something like Marvel Mystery oil to your gas can, it helps to keep the valves from sticking.

staylor1650 05-30-2011 10:08 PM

alright ill try these things haven't had time to so hopefully in a couple days i can look in these things thanks and ill try to keep you guys posted