Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Welcome to OnlyCubCadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52426)

jjardina 06-11-2018 07:58 PM

Hi

My name is Jason and I live in Lawrenceville, GA.

Yesterday, I purchased a 1973 IH Cub Cadet 128 with 44" deck. It has absolutely no options, no lights, no creeper, no optional PTOs, nothing fancy. But it is cool and I already love it. I bought it because I love to tinker with anything mechanical and I want to introduce my 10 and 7 year old to the joy of fixing things, instead of throwing them away. This is my first yard tractor and this thing is built like a tank compared to the weak mowers going for 4x as much at Lowes and HD.

Engine runs great! I am having an issue with the mule belt kicking off the front spindle while PTO is engaged... hopefully just a worn belt or improper tension.

I'm looking forward to tearing it down this winter and doing a full restoration with my boys.

I'm also looking forward to meeting others on the forum here and gleaning some knowledge on these tractors.

Kind Regards,
Jason

IHCubCadet147 06-11-2018 08:39 PM

Welcome to Only Cub Cadets!

cooperino 06-11-2018 08:43 PM

Sounds like a great time for the kids! Hope you have some fun with it this summer before you start taking it apart! Enjoy, Ya got a good one. Some pictures would be appreciated!

athomas 06-11-2018 09:52 PM

Welcome ! the 1X8&9 series tractors are great should give you years of service with normal upkeep and maintenance. If your belts are jumping off along with proper tension check condition of mule drive pulleys to be sure they are not excessively worn or sloppy loose, when properly adjusted they should be in line with each other ! if your running the 44 inch deck the correct mule drive will have the pulleys angled towards the center pulley on the deck ,due to the deck pulley being off center . :beerchug:

john hall 06-11-2018 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing like a 128. It has a certain old school feel, not too antique, not over or underpowered, its just right. Unfortunately we are always in too big of a hurry so the one here hardly gets used anymore. But its the only one that stays locked in the garage, the rest are under sheds.

zippy1 06-11-2018 10:48 PM

:Welcome2: Jason.:beerchug:
Sounds like it'll be a fun project for you and your kids. We here at OCC, like pictures. Being your new to the forum, we'll let it slide this time. But the saying around here is; pictures, or it didn't happen.:biggrin2:

Bamafan 06-12-2018 08:29 AM

Welcome to OCC Jason, Better pre pair the wife, cause 1 cub is never enough. :beerchug:

jjardina 06-12-2018 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamafan (Post 456526)
Welcome to OCC Jason, Better pre pair the wife, cause 1 cub is never enough. :beerchug:

Hahaha yeah, I think she is coming to that realization.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy1
Sounds like it'll be a fun project for you and your kids. We here at OCC, like pictures. Being your new to the forum, we'll let it slide this time. But the saying around here is; pictures, or it didn't happen.

I'll try to attach some.

jjardina 06-12-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athomas (Post 456503)
If your belts are jumping off along with proper tension check condition of mule drive pulleys to be sure they are not excessively worn or sloppy loose, when properly adjusted they should be in line with each other ! if your running the 44 inch deck the correct mule drive will have the pulleys angled towards the center pulley on the deck ,due to the deck pulley being off center . :beerchug:

Interesting. i will check that out. I can't imagine the old coot I bought it from would've changed the deck. But slop in the drive pulleys is a real possibility. I noticed the previous owner jury rigged the idler tension bolt instead of spending 4 bucks for a new one...

Thanks for the helpful comment!

cooperino 06-12-2018 04:39 PM

Good lookin cub! :IH Trusted Hand: