Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Just bought a 5252 with 814 Loader. Tell me about it. (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49723)

Joelk 08-17-2017 09:00 PM

Just bought a 5252 with 814 Loader. Tell me about it.

I just bought 5252 with 437 hrs.

The owner inherited it and did not know much about it.

Has an issue with battery/wiring and/or starter so I did not get to operate much.

Got it running enough to load on my trailer, but [that is about all.

Got all manuals with it, but have not had a chance to read.

I did not research much before buying as I was afraid of "you snooze you loose"

Please tell me what you know about it, good or bad.

Issues that are common to this model?.

CubDieselFan 08-17-2017 09:38 PM

Research it and you will see the issues. You should always do research.

Joelk 08-18-2017 10:25 AM

I am trying to research it. That is why I posted this thread.

I would appreciate any info about the 5252 that anyone here can supply.

V30crewcab 08-18-2017 10:33 AM

this thread is a good start.
http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47821

DeltaCub 08-18-2017 10:41 AM

Joelk, MTD designed and built this series of sub compact tractors. These were cheaply designed and poorly made...I know...I have a 7264! The tractors were plagued with electrical and PTO failures. Many of the parts are not available from MTD/Cub Cadet. Recently, another member had a rear PTO clutch failure and discovered parts were no longer available. This member contacted the clutch manufacturer and, surprisingly, was able to get it repaired. My 7264 has the same issue but does not matter to me...I only use it for loader work(and not very much). Good luck! :beerchug:

Sam Mac 08-18-2017 05:34 PM

Google 5252 problems.

https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.DvSxrjG9T_Q

Joelk 09-10-2017 10:15 AM

Well I have been researching 5252 issues for several weeks now. I have done many Google searches and searched multiple mower/tractor forums.

Lots of posts indicating that 5252s are junk and that they have a lot of issues, but very little info regarding EXACTLY what those issues are, or how to potentially resolve the issues.

I understand that the 62xx and 72xx share some components with the 52xxs, but many are different. PTO is an example of this. The 5252 PTO is entirely different from the 62xx/72xx models. 52xx PTO is external and 62xx/72xx is internal.

I would greatly appreciate info about specific issues that the 5252 has and how to repair/resolve those issues.

CubDieselFan 09-10-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaCub (Post 430489)
Joelk, MTD designed and built this series of sub compact tractors. These were cheaply designed and poorly made...I know...I have a 7264! The tractors were plagued with electrical and PTO failures. Many of the parts are not available from MTD/Cub Cadet. Recently, another member had a rear PTO clutch failure and discovered parts were no longer available. This member contacted the clutch manufacturer and, surprisingly, was able to get it repaired. My 7264 has the same issue but does not matter to me...I only use it for loader work(and not very much). Good luck! :beerchug:

This post sums it up pretty good. Transmission and pto problems with no part support from MTD. Best thing to do is sell it and get a Kubota BX series. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is what it is.

J-Mech 09-10-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelk (Post 432518)
I would greatly appreciate info about specific issues that the 5252 has

Well..... Beth gave you some specific examples of failures. Sam's link to the Google search has page after page of examples.....

If you are looking for specifics to the N'th degree about how and what failed and how to go about repairing it, then you're asking a way too detailed question without an actual failure of your machine to compare it too. If your machine isn't broken, then what good does it do to walk you through a repair that you may never need to make? If you are that interested in how the tractor is built, buy a parts and service manual and study them cover to cover. Otherwise, run the tractor until it fails and then begin what appears to be a useless job on repairing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelk (Post 432518)
and how to repair/resolve those issues.

From everything I've seen and read, the best way to resolve the issues are to sell the tractor BEFORE it breaks.

Joelk 09-10-2017 11:50 AM

I like the way the tractor and loader(812, not 814) work and I probably won't use it nearly as hard as some people would. I don't plan to use it to farm 100 acres.

I would like to have more info before I would considering selling.

Can anyone provide more info, and/or links to threads etc. regarding 52xx PTO and/or Transmission failures.

The 62xx and 72xx have different transmissions and PTOs than the 5252 has.