Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   PTO Clutch Issues with 1620 (or pto switch)?? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49804)

alsparl 08-25-2017 11:02 PM

PTO Clutch Issues with 1620 (or pto switch)??

I rec'd a call this evening from my brother-in-law regarding his recently acquired 1620. He tells me all components of the unit work fine to begin with. After he mows for a while, approx. 15-20 min, and he disengages the PTO clutch while either backing up or moving to the next part of his yard, the PTO clutch will not engage again with the switch. He states if he allows the engine and PTO clutch to cool down for an hour or so, the PTO clutch will function as it should. However, the problem exists during the same day as well as if he were to return the following day.

I have not seen this machine other than a simple text photo and have no hands on experience with it. With that being said, I am coming here as I trust the knowledge and feedback I get from members here to give me an idea of "what to look for" considering I have never encountered this issue before on my units.

Any suggestions or repair knowledge anyone would be willing to share would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Aaron

zippy1 08-26-2017 01:14 AM

Field coil.:beerchug:

Cub Cadet 917-3497 (replaces 759-3230)

Field Coil

Your price: $395.27

alsparl 08-26-2017 02:32 PM

Thank you Todd, I was afraid that someone might say that. I am gonna take off the PTO clutch and check the gap and see if we have any play with that first and see if we obtain any better results. Just doing it as a last resort cause I don't like spending people's money. If nothing else, Extreme has them for $175. I will tell my B-I-L to start saving his pennies. :)

Thank you again and I will keep you all posted.

alsparl 09-08-2017 02:23 PM

Just a quick update, I checked the gap on the PTO clutch and it was double the spec. I am not shocked after near 30 years of use it might do that. So we gapped it correctly, reinstalled, and the same issue was occurring. That is when I kindly explained to my B-I-L to "baby" the machine through the end of the season but save his pennies, or at least $10- a paycheck, and by the time next spring comes around he will have saved the money to buy a new PTO clutch from Extreme without feeling the "pain" of a large purchase...considering they are newly weds and new home owners as well.

Again, Todd, thank you very much for your guidance as it has been appreciated.

zippy1 09-08-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsparl (Post 432396)
Just a quick update, I checked the gap on the PTO clutch and it was double the spec. I am not shocked after near 30 years of use it might do that. So we gapped it correctly, reinstalled, and the same issue was occurring. That is when I kindly explained to my B-I-L to "baby" the machine through the end of the season but save his pennies, or at least $10- a paycheck, and by the time next spring comes around he will have saved the money to buy a new PTO clutch from Extreme without feeling the "pain" of a large purchase...considering they are newly weds and new home owners as well.

Again, Todd, thank you very much for your guidance as it has been appreciated.

Sorry for the bad news. I would check the Extreme guys out. I bought one from them for my 2372 (1872) and I'll tell yeah, it'll eat grass.:beerchug: And did/does it much cheaper than an OE PTO...:beerchug: