Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I'll just jump on the 125 and mow ---- but NO !!!! (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49908)

Jeff in Pa 09-04-2017 08:21 PM

I'll just jump on the 125 and mow ---- but NO !!!!

I figured I'd have a nice relaxing time mowing with the 125 right after lunch today. Check oil, almost to the top line. Top off with gas, start it up and back out of the shed. I pull the garage door down and when I turn around, the mighty Cub is smoking like a mosquito fogger :bigeyes:

Shut it off and notice an oil line on the right tire plus the muffler is coated on the bottom with oil. :bigthink:

NUTZ, the front seal gave up. Take a quick look and I can see it's out of the block a bit. :bash2:

Pop the grill off, unhook the mower belt, loosen the PTO rod to move the lever front and realize I didn't line up the cutouts for the PTO.

Luckily I push it in just enough with my hand on the lever to get the 1/2" I need to get it lined up.

Grab a 1/8" allen wrench, all six hex screws come out and the pto loosens up easily. That comes right off. Remove the lock screw off the bearing eccentric and get that loose. ( I put it on and knew which way to hit to get it loose :biggrin2: )

Turns out the bearing is rusted to the crank :bash2: I find my three jaw puller and ARGGGHHH, the screw is too long. ( hits the grill frame )

I chuck up a piece of 3/8-16 all thread in the lathe, put a point on and part ( cut ) it off. Since the puller was a 12mm thread, the 3/8 all thread fits in the hole and I use a washer with a nut to pull the bearing. Since the nut was on the inside of the three jaw puller, I had to use and open end 9/16" wrench. Turn a little bit , flip the wrench and turn a little bit more. Flip the wrench and repeat---MANY times

Finally the :censored: bearing comes off. I call the local NAPA and they have to order the seal. Just as well as they closed at 3:00 and it was 2:52 when I called. It's almost 5 miles away in town.

What was my wife doing during all this? Mowing our almost one acre property with the push mower :beerchug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I reinstall that bearing, it's getting a coating of antiseize on the crank nose. The above "fun fest" took 2-1/2 hours and I spent a hour forty five minutes :censored: with that bearing.

Oh, as far as insult, I make a really nice PTO pulley puller and my PTO pulley just slid right off :bash2:

Laugh, smile and have a beer while saying "it sucked to you today" :ExtremeFunny:

zippy1 09-05-2017 12:14 AM

Well Jeff, that stinks, but as we ALL know, shtuff happens.:beerchug:
You got yourself a good woman though...:beerchug:

Sam Mac 09-05-2017 07:09 AM

Sounds like how things go in my life. :beerchug:

J-Mech 09-05-2017 08:36 AM

Oh yeah..... Definitely sounds like one of my days. BTDT. Only difference is, my wife WOULD NOT be push mowing. Partly because we don't own a push mower. I think she would do it.... but only if I asked really nicely. :biggrin2:

You'll have it back up in no time!

On that nice puller you have: I bought one because I had a stuck pulley. I got it off before I got the puller, but I thought "Hey, that'll be awesome next stuck one I run across!!". Yeah.... since then, every one I've pulled came right off, LOL. I feel your pain, lol. :beerchug:

darkminion_17 09-05-2017 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your oil issue, never had that happen to me, but Pics or it didn't happen.

olds45512 09-05-2017 12:31 PM

I know the feeling. About a month ago I was mowing and was about 1/2 done and the deck belt turned to shrapnel.

Jeff in Pa 09-05-2017 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkminion_17 (Post 432166)
Sorry to hear about your oil issue, never had that happen to me, but Pics or it didn't happen.

attached

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 432182)
I know the feeling. About a month ago I was mowing and was about 1/2 done and the deck belt turned to shrapnel.

I have plenty of belts. Seals, not so much :biggrin2:

Jeff in Pa 09-07-2017 08:31 PM

Back together and ready to mow again :beerchug:

olds45512 09-07-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa (Post 432352)
Back together and ready to mow again :beerchug:

Glad you got it up and running again. :beerchug:

Jeff in Pa 09-07-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 432357)
Glad you got it up and running again. :beerchug:

So am I. I'm not sure my darling wife would do the push mower again this week :biggrin2: