Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Rear Engine Rider & ZTR (RER) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   cub cadet 60 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1755)

ihnick 09-28-2009 10:45 PM

cub cadet 60

my friend has a cub cadet 60 in his garage. its in mint original condition and he says he cant find parts for it. whats something like this worth? is it worth making him a offer to take it off his hands? i think if i could get it cheap and sell it for a little extra money to put in the cub fund it would be worth it. what do you guys think?

MBounds 09-29-2009 09:29 AM

ihnick:

1) It's NOT a CUB Cadet (garden tractor)!! It's a Cadet Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower (RER).

2) It's the first model RER IH made.

3) It's the only Yellow RER IH made (all the others were/are white)

4) It's the only RER that used a Tecumseh engine.

5) It's the only RER that did NOT have a reverse gear in the transmission.

6) It's the only RER that has two pedals; one for forward and one for reverse.
Reverse was driven off a pulley on the camshaft, an arrangement unique to that particular Tecumseh engine.

7) It's also considered an IH collectable kinda like the Original Cub Cadet and/or the Cadet Spirit of 76 Lawn Tractor.

8) It's worth?....Given that I am in Texas, I wouldn't have a clue about its value in Michigan. But I'd get it if I could.....just my $.02.

9) Parts are shown in TC-120; the service Manual is IH GSS-1389. Hopefully the current owner still has the Operator's Manual. You need all three, as each has information that the others do not!

10) It's true that many parts are now NLA, but by using your local Cub Cadet dealer, this forum, and its sponsors when looking for parts, you might be surprised how many are still available for that Model 60.

11) It's a fun machine to operate....I retired mine from actual mowing but enjoy using it occasionally...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

ihnick 09-29-2009 05:08 PM

yeah i know that its not even half of what a garden tractor is. i've got many real cubs but i'm just thinking if i could get it cheap and sell it.

wanders 10-12-2009 12:57 AM

I'm seriously looking for an (ahem) International Cadet Model 60 Riding Mower.

I used one extensively when they were new (and I was a teenager), in the 1960's. A genuinely interesting RER, unlike any I have seen since. For nostalgic reasons, I would like to find one. The one that I used had the Tecumseh with the crank manual start, not a pull recoil, and certainly without an electric start.

The prices vary. I'm looking at one from Craigslist a few states away from Minnesota, and the owner is asking only $75, but I have yet to see the photos! I rather doubt that it is "mint."

If your friend is interesting in selling, I might drive up from Texas to get it. Before the snow falls, that is...

Willie

placeebo effect 10-12-2009 05:30 PM

i have 2 model 75 that can go cheap

wanders 10-12-2009 08:35 PM

Sorry, Placebo Effect, I gotta have a 60. The dual pedal forward/reverse action was unique to that model (I believe) and it is what I'm after. Plus, that yellow fiberglass body was so cool.

Willie

jroch350 06-01-2011 10:43 AM

My Cub Cadet 60

What is the value of a 1968ish Cub Cadet 60, I have one and kinda regret it now that I find out it is an IH collectible, but I made it a custom rat rod go kart. I sanded the body, painted it flat black, put a new engine on the back as mine was seized up, kept the rear end, stripped the frame to bare metal and painted it all red. Any thoughts?
Thanks

57130 06-19-2011 08:25 PM

My 60

I bought my Cadet 60 for 50 bucks but it was in awfully bad condition. I then spent 400 bucks on all kinds of parts. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine this winter too because it burns quite a bit of oil when I work it hard. So basically. mine cost $450 dollars but of course there is a BIG difference between buying something that doesn't need work and putting no more money into it and when you buy something for little or no money and spend it all on parts. I learned that the hard way on multiple tractors that it can add up real fast to get one running. I really don't know what one would cost to buy it in working condition though. With the 2 separate pedals for forward and reverse it is a kick to drive though! I drove another RER that I got going and it was just no fun compared to my 60.

JWNoord 11-02-2011 01:52 PM

Cadet 60

I have a Cadet 60 less the mower deck, with the original engine.

Any ideas on the current market value? My wife is bugging me about dragging "another one" home! Also have a 100, 127, 1450, & an MTD 1641

Be nice to tell her it is worth something for a change!

Methos 11-03-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWNoord (Post 99098)
I have a Cadet 60 less the mower deck, with the original engine.

Any ideas on the current market value? My wife is bugging me about dragging "another one" home! Also have a 100, 127, 1450, & an MTD 1641

Be nice to tell her it is worth something for a change!

Condition, location and attachments detremine price.

:WWP: