Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   102 Clutch Teaser Spring (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21434)

EquipmentUser 12-02-2012 05:48 PM

102 Clutch Teaser Spring

What is the process for replacing the teaser spring, can you just unbolt the engine and slide it forward or does it require complete engine and clutch assy removal? Also what should be done to prevent it from breaking again, i've heard you can use a briggs valve spring cut to length and it will hold up better, what do you guys recommend? This is a working Cub, not a pulling tractor. Right now the clutch works fine, isn't grabby, doesn't slip, just makes a ton of racket that i'm fed up with due to the broken spring.

darkminion_17 12-02-2012 06:40 PM

I just did this replacement the other day.
Disconnect the battery.
Then you lock down the clutch pedal.
Remove clutch cover.
Remove the hood.
Then you remove the two roll pins on the drive shaft where the two clutch plates are.
Remove the choke,throttle cable,coil wire,and if you have the mower deck on it ,the belt.
Remove the pto turnbuckle.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the motor.
Slide motor forward and remove the front plate,disc, rear plate and teaser spring.If you still don't have enough room you will have to remove the front grill casting .

That was easy... but if you go this far why not just remove the clutch entirely,you may need to get a new shaft,and go over everything,true up the plates,new t.o. bearing and clutch spring.You may need a new yoke and clutch arm with pin.

Hope this
h
e
l
p
s

PaulS 12-02-2012 07:03 PM

If you have a fiber pto clutch button, the one on the rod, be very careful when you move the engine forward not to let it touch that button. I lost two buttons that way.

EquipmentUser 12-02-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkminion_17 (Post 162722)
I just did this replacement the other day.
Disconnect the battery.
Then you lock down the clutch pedal.
Remove clutch cover.
Remove the hood.
Then you remove the two roll pins on the drive shaft where the two clutch plates are.
Remove the choke,throttle cable,coil wire,and if you have the mower deck on it ,the belt.
Remove the pto turnbuckle.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the motor.
Slide motor forward and remove the front plate,disc, rear plate and teaser spring.If you still don't have enough room you will have to remove the front grill casting .

That was easy... but if you go this far why not just remove the clutch entirely,you may need to get a new shaft,and go over everything,true up the plates,new t.o. bearing and clutch spring.You may need a new yoke and clutch arm with pin.

Hope this
h
e
l
p
s

It needs just about everything you said but the fact that it still works fine has me hesitant to do all that work at this point. Did you just order an OEM spring? Are there any tricks to prolong the life of it, I hear they are pretty common to break.

darkminion_17 12-02-2012 09:31 PM

Used a oem spring.If that is all it needs I would do it.