Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cub 126 - 1970 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50159)

Chad126 10-02-2017 09:57 AM

Cub 126 - 1970

15 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

I've got a 126 I am currently going through. Hoping to do a decent restore on it. Got a good bit done, but still have a ways to go. Anyway, just for fun. I've loaded up some pics of the progress. Rebuilt the Ross Steering column last night. Felt really really rough when turning so I replaced the bearings in it. I reused the race and older plastic pieces, but put new balls in them and cleaned out all of the old grease and repacked it. Also, I've got all the sheet metal and frame sandblasted. Engine seems to be in great shape with no smoke, but I've cleaned the carburetor. Made the mistake of not putting a new carb kit on it and got a slap on the wrist by somoene on OCC when I mentioned that in another forum. I'll be buying a kit on amazon soon. Put new brake pads on it, as the ones it had were not doing the job. Bought the material from McMaster Carr and just did the job this past weekend. They now work great. Cleaned up the corroded points. Obviously I'll be getting new belts and will probably be buying a wiring harness instead of trying to save this one. I did see on OCC where there is a fellow that makes em. I'll try to reach out to him and support my fellow cub enthusiast. Anyway, here is some of the progress. I have painted the front axle casting and also the from grill casting, along with the engine but they are not pictured. And please, don't be too harsh on me if you see anything that looks bad:Thanks:, I'm still fairly new at the tractor restoration thing, but I'm all but consumed with it.

Chad

olds45512 10-02-2017 10:27 AM

Looking good so far. What paint are you using?

Chad126 10-02-2017 10:53 AM

Got a friend that sells auto paint. He does custom matching using a scanner that scans a sample. I took him a sample and he mixed some up for me. It appears to be a little more of an orange to me than the original, although when you compare them side by side, it is really close.

Terry C 10-02-2017 12:04 PM

Looks good to me!! I too have thought too orange but turns out it’s correct.

Chad126 10-02-2017 12:35 PM

Thanks Terry!

DeltaCub 10-02-2017 03:22 PM

Should look nice when you complete it!

zippy1 10-02-2017 10:55 PM

Go, Go man go.:beerchug:
Good start...

Bamafan 10-03-2017 09:20 AM

Looking good Chad. Sure is a good feeling bringing one back to life, Ain't it? :beerchug:

Chad126 10-03-2017 10:23 AM

Haha. Thanks guys. And yes sir, it brings a lot of excitement seeing that old rust come off and then seeing it shined up. Just something about keeping one from going to the grave that gives me some feeling of accomplishment. This one was my grandfathers so I'd like to keep it alive as long as possible. He's kind of a legend around our area in regards to tractors. At one point as a kid, I remember counting around 40 tractors on his property. Anything from Cubs to Olivers to John Deeres. I hope to be able to carry on at least a little bit of his legacy in being able to keep some of these ole machines alive. It's going to be a lost art one day. It sure is a shame to see what most of my generation (I'm 30) is doing to this country. I'd give bag of buffalo nickels to have grown up about 60 years ago. Anyway, sorry for getting sidetracked. I appreciate the feedback and your guys' knowledge. I've learned a lot from reading a lot of posts on here.

jr1983 10-03-2017 01:50 PM

Looks good I just sold one of those hope its getting the same treatment