Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Not another paint thread (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49919)

EarlJ 09-05-2017 02:10 PM

Not another paint thread

4 Attachment(s)
Yeppers... So I've been doing some searching to source paint locally either via rattle can or sprayer. Well walked in my local Ace Hardware yesterday,for a can of primer and black. On the hunt I spied this yellow.. Its a pretty good match and dries nice and hard pretty quickly. I've only tested in a couple small spots but I'll be dogged if it isn't close enough to pass. At least for weights and touch ups, also this is matched to my 1650.

J-Mech 09-05-2017 02:32 PM

You guys that hunt and settle for cheap, knock off paints kill me. How hard is it to go get a rattle can of the correct paint from CCC or IH? You can order it online.

EarlJ 09-05-2017 04:40 PM

I only got this so I could touch up a few things under my fenders so I can put this machine back together and paint my weights. The closest ih dealer is 2.5 hours and the local cub dealer is a 1.5. So for me this was convenience..

olds45512 09-06-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 432196)
You guys that hunt and settle for cheap, knock off paints kill me. How hard is it to go get a rattle can of the correct paint from CCC or IH? You can order it online.

Any paint that comes from a rattle can is cheap and won't have the longevity of a hardened paint from a gun so I would use the cheaper paint to.

J-Mech 09-06-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 432239)
Any paint that comes from a rattle can is cheap and won't have the longevity of a hardened paint from a gun so I would use the cheaper paint to.

Well, I don't disagree. But "close enough" isn't good enough for me. I'd get Cub Cadet yellow from IH or MTD so at least the only reason it wouldn't match is from paint fade, or if someone already painted it the wrong color.

olds45512 09-06-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 432244)
Well, I don't disagree. But "close enough" isn't good enough for me. I'd get Cub Cadet yellow from IH or MTD so at least the only reason it wouldn't match is from paint fade, or if someone already painted it the wrong color.

That's two post of mine today you agree with, you feeling ok?:biggrin2:

J-Mech 09-06-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 432245)
That's two post of mine today you agree with, you feeling ok?:biggrin2:

I love you man.....:biggrin2:

olds45512 09-06-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 432246)
I love you man.....:biggrin2:

Hopefully not to much.:biggrin2:

EarlJ 09-06-2017 10:26 PM

You two might need a room...😂😂.. I'm not advocating painting an entire tractor with rattle can. For me on my tractors that most likely won't get repainted for several years hitting some of the under fender stuff with rattle can is fine. Nothing I have is show quality, nor will it be. All my machines work or they get sold period. While I'm an avid collector I'm also a realist, if a machine is a trailer queen that sees the public eye once or twice a year..then its a waste if my time. I spend a lot of time and effort keeping my machines running and doing their jobs. So if I spray a close enough on a rust spot its better than primer grey or nothing at all. If I am bringing one back then yes its all ih paint no questions. Heck I paid 65 for a gallon of case power red for a project that has been in the works for a while now...