Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Briggs & Stratton Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Briggs 16HP Vanguard seal - to glue or not to glue? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49665)

sorner 08-13-2017 08:08 AM

Briggs 16HP Vanguard seal - to glue or not to glue?

That is the question... I'm replacing a PTO end seal in one of these and the seal just pops right out when the engine turns over. It doesn't fit too tight. There are no other signs of a problem, like a crankcase breather issue. It's snug when I push it in but I don't have to drive it in. I can push it in with my fingers. Should I put a bead of permatex on it and let it sit to dry? Or do I have a not quite right seal for this engine? I don't want to glue it in if that's not going to work.

cubs-n-bxrs 08-13-2017 08:41 AM

That seems to be a common problem with the 16hp Vanguards. I picked up my 1641 about 10yrs ago because the guy thought the block was cracked. LOL Got it for cheap. I found out that seal in question was popped out. When reinstalling it I used Permatex ultra blue and it's been holding. I found the bore the seal sits in to b e on the loose side as well.:beerchug:

sorner 08-13-2017 08:56 AM

Ok cool. That's what I was hoping. I know there was an issue with the seal size between Koehler series 1 and 2 engines where it was just slightly different. I didn't know if this might be the case with these engines as well. I'll permatex it and see what happens.

cubs-n-bxrs 08-13-2017 09:44 AM

I would give the permatex plenty of cure time. I cannot remember what type of Permatex I used. I believe it was ultra blue. Is the seal you are using rubber coated? Wipe a little oil on the lip portion before you install it.

sorner 08-13-2017 09:51 AM

I have ultra blue. It's rubber coated and I oiled the shaft to slide it in. It's installed and permatexed. Waiting for it to cure now.

Green stripe wide frame 08-13-2017 10:27 AM

I would just get a steel seal and use #2 permatex.

darkminion_17 08-13-2017 10:43 AM

The last few I did fit tight with no glue used, I used a B&S seal, did youse guys?

V30crewcab 08-13-2017 01:27 PM

I always use the grey, its just like hondabond, we've had diff covers held on with it that were tough to get off it holds so well.

cubs-n-bxrs 08-13-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkminion_17 (Post 430057)
The last few I did fit tight with no glue used, I used a B&S seal, did youse guys?

Lew mine was a Napa cross reference seal and I don't remember who made it. I do remember that the OD of the seal was rubber and was ribbed for ah never mind. LOL:beerchug:

darkminion_17 08-13-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs-n-bxrs (Post 430096)
Lew mine was a Napa cross reference seal and I don't remember who made it. I do remember that the OD of the seal was rubber and was ribbed for ah never mind. LOL:beerchug:

Ribbs are so over rated , you know......