Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2182 - It was supposed to be for parts. (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42646)

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 10:50 AM

2182 - It was supposed to be for parts.

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this 2182 at the dealer. Really only wanted it for parts. Started checking into the engine. Dang thing has great compression with 1750 hours! Now I am a ripping and a tearing, buying parts like they don't make them anymore, and bothering the h*ll out of Sam with questions ( Thanks for you patience, Sam). Not sure if it was a Lew price, but the deck parts alone are worth what I paid for it. Rehab costs will surely add up though. Fingers crossed.

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first task was to get it to turn over and then keep it running to do the compression test. Had jumper wires running every which way due to the dealer having robbed the PTO switch.:bash2: With help from brother in law who is electrician, we got it running on the nasty gas in the tank. Then realized the float in the carb was stuck and was filling the base with gas. :crap: So, pulled the carb. Messed around a couple days with soaking it in Pinesol. Even managed to rehab the fuel shut off solinoid.

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 11:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pinesol results- Awesome! I put it back together and rigged up a temporary fuel tank. Put the jumper wires back in place and it was running thunder. It would shut off and restart without running gas into the base. This allowed me to finally get the compression check accomplished to determine if it was worth saving.

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I bought it our temps were in the teens. Had to drag it on and off the trailer. I feared the rear end was either slugged full of water and froze or potentially damaged. After sneaking it into the corner of the family farm shop ( I do not work on the farm) I was able to warm it up. Once the fuel issue was solved with temporary fuel tank. I drove it around. No power steering but moved well under it's own power. The rear dip stick reported nothing but frothy pink milk. So I pulled the rear cover knowing full well I would be drilling Sam's return holes soon. Strawberry milk anyone?

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 11:32 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Then got to work dismantling the rear of the machine. Of course, one obligatory broken rear frame bolt.

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to screw a nut on the broken off rear case bolt. My brother welded it for me and it screwed right out! :beer2: So now I have gone wild ordering parts and Xtrememotorworks braces and degreasers and paint and so on. Hope to make some major Progress this coming weekend.

FrankF3 02-04-2016 12:09 PM

Congratulations! Way to go. You are making terrific progress on this. Keep up the good work and communications on your progress. :beerchug:

john hall 02-04-2016 12:24 PM

I see a Farmall grill in the shop floor, nice to see the Cadet is among family!:biggrin2:

Dirty Steve 02-04-2016 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John Hall. The grill is from a Super A my brother is rehabing. We have been all red on our farm for generations.

105_Tom 02-04-2016 01:24 PM

You're off to a great start! Those WG-series Kubotas will purr like kittens when properly tuned. Keep the pics coming!