Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Implements and Attachments (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mower Deck for 105 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50775)

MiniXP 12-06-2017 05:35 PM

Mower Deck for 105

I have cub cadet 105. I believe a '71 or '72. My dad and I restored it probably around 10 years ago. Ever since then we have just used it for occasional plowing and never had a mower deck for it.

I am looking to get a mower deck and whatever else is required to get it going now. I'm willing to do some searching of forums and craigslist etc, but need some help figuring out what I'm looking for. From what I've found so far, it sounds like I'll need a 42" deck. What else will I need to get it going? The PTO currently doesn't work, so I think I'll need to rebuild that and get it working.

What else will I need in terms of any mounting brackets, pulleys etc.

Also, cost wise, I've seen some of these parts can run pretty high. I've also seen some similar models with engine issues that include a mower deck for around $300. Would I be better off just buying a broken tractor with a working deck and taking all the mower parts? Seems like that could end up being the cheapest solution from what I have found so far.

sir_lancealot 12-06-2017 05:59 PM

The 105 was produced between 1967 and 1969. If you give your serial number, we can tell you the month and year it was built.

You can do a 38", 42", or 48" deck. You'll want a deck with the quick attach mounting and the subframe to go along with it. Depending what's available in your area, it could be more cost effective to get a tractor w/ deck and swap the needed parts.

Depending which model deck you find will determine what belts you need. If you go to the Cub Cadet website, go to the Service and Parts link on the upper right side. Type 105 in the model search and select your tractor. Looks like it's the first one on the list. When the next pop-up opens, select Attachments at the top of the page. You'll then see a list of all attachments available and this is where you can find your mower deck to determine anything you might need.

MiniXP 12-06-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_lancealot (Post 440060)
The 105 was produced between 1967 and 1969. If you give your serial number, we can tell you the month and year it was built.

You can do a 38", 42", or 48" deck. You'll want a deck with the quick attach mounting and the subframe to go along with it. Depending what's available in your area, it could be more cost effective to get a tractor w/ deck and swap the needed parts.

Depending which model deck you find will determine what belts you need. If you go to the Cub Cadet website, go to the Service and Parts link on the upper right side. Type 105 in the model search and select your tractor. Looks like it's the first one on the list. When the next pop-up opens, select Attachments at the top of the page. You'll then see a list of all attachments available and this is where you can find your mower deck to determine anything you might need.

Guess I must be mis-remembering the year. It may be a '68. It is at my parents place, so can't get the serial number right now.

Pretty cool that the cub cadet site has all the parts listings, that will be useful.

Any idea what other models used the same mower? Trying to figure out what I should be looking for when looking through for sale ads.

sir_lancealot 12-06-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniXP (Post 440067)
Guess I must be mis-remembering the year. It may be a '68. It is at my parents place, so can't get the serial number right now.

Pretty cool that the cub cadet site has all the parts listings, that will be useful.

Any idea what other models used the same mower? Trying to figure out what I should be looking for when looking through for sale ads.

The deck with the quick attach coupling could be on any 4/5, 6/7, 8/9, or Quietline (00/50) series tractors. However, if you want the correct subframe too, you have to find one on a 4/5 or 6/7 series tractor. The 8/9 and Quietline tractors are wide frame, so the subframe won't fit yours.

If you're not familiar with the numbering system, the last digit is the series. So your 105 falls in the 4/5 series of tractors.

MiniXP 12-06-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_lancealot (Post 440074)
The deck with the quick attach coupling could be on any 4/5, 6/7, 8/9, or Quietline (00/50) series tractors. However, if you want the correct subframe too, you have to find one on a 4/5 or 6/7 series tractor. The 8/9 and Quietline tractors are wide frame, so the subframe won't fit yours.

If you're not familiar with the numbering system, the last digit is the series. So your 105 falls in the 4/5 series of tractors.

With the numbering system, would 4/5 include 104 as well as 124? For example would I be good with one from a 124?

sir_lancealot 12-07-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniXP (Post 440084)
With the numbering system, would 4/5 include 104 as well as 124? For example would I be good with one from a 124?

Correct. The first two digits are the HP rating and the third is the series. Even number is gear drive, odd number is hydro. So your 105 is a 10HP hydro drive tractor. A 126 is a 12HP gear drive tractor in the 6/7 series.

Baccarat 12-07-2017 11:47 AM

Sir Lancelot. Thanks for the full definition of the 3rd digit. I knew that even numbers were gear and odd numbers were hydro drive but didn't know that it also defined the tractor series. Learning something new everyday.

MiniXP. Finding a complete tractor locally is probably the least expensive route. If it is a runner and has the mower deck mounted and operational, that would be an added bonus. You also could sell the tractor after taking the deck and/or part out the tractor and reduce you cost of the deck. If it happens to be another 105, you have lots of spare, backup, parts if needed.

Just my opinion. Others may disagree.

MiniXP 12-07-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baccarat (Post 440133)
Sir Lancelot. Thanks for the full definition of the 3rd digit. I knew that even numbers were gear and odd numbers were hydro drive but didn't know that it also defined the tractor series. Learning something new everyday.

MiniXP. Finding a complete tractor locally is probably the least expensive route. If it is a runner and has the mower deck mounted and operational, that would be an added bonus. You also could sell the tractor after taking the deck and/or part out the tractor and reduce you cost of the deck. If it happens to be another 105, you have lots of spare, backup, parts if needed.

Just my opinion. Others may disagree.

Yea buying another tractor looks like it may be the cheapest route. My PTO clutch is broken too, so I'd need parts for that as well, which look to be fairly expensive. I've actually never had the PTO working, rebuilt it, but did something wrong and it flew off and broke. Would probably help to see one that actually works to understand it better.

finsruskw 12-07-2017 05:02 PM

What's to understand??
It's just a simple clutch that has to be spring loaded in order to dis-engage instead of engage.

sir_lancealot 12-07-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniXP (Post 440149)
Yea buying another tractor looks like it may be the cheapest route. My PTO clutch is broken too, so I'd need parts for that as well, which look to be fairly expensive. I've actually never had the PTO working, rebuilt it, but did something wrong and it flew off and broke. Would probably help to see one that actually works to understand it better.

You can find the rebuild kits on eBay pretty reasonable. That's usually all that needs replaced on them. But if it wasn't working when you got it, it's understandable it not working when you put it back together, having never done one yourself. I'm the visual learner type too. I can read about it all day long and not understand it, but if you show me how it works, I'll be able to do it a million times afterwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finsruskw (Post 440157)
What's to understand??
It's just a simple clutch that has to be spring loaded in order to dis-engage instead of engage.

I think building and working on computers is simple too. But to those that have never done it, it's like a foreign language. Same goes for the manual PTO on a Cub Cadet.