Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Home Made (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   3 point hitch build (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49721)

Workinprogress 08-29-2017 08:51 PM

Thanks!

I completely agree the 120 volt welder with flux core is not the best tool for this job.

With that said, I have been using the same hitch design, done using the same welder on my 1512 for a number years. It has not broken yet. Over the years using this welder I have made multiple items including a 25 ton log splitter, heavy duty trailer for my cub, repaired 1.5 ton dump trailer. Using a process of material beveling and multiple pass welding I have very few welds break.

A more powerful welder is on my wish list but for now I have to make due with what I have.

J-Mech 08-29-2017 09:01 PM

You can pick up a used Lincoln "tombstone" or "buzz-box" AC arc welder for $100, sometimes less. That would be far better than a 120v flux core machine.

I wouldn't trust a 3pt welded with flux core wire.... but it's your machine. Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you use the 3pt for? Just a York rake?

Workinprogress 08-29-2017 09:17 PM

The 220 volt welder was on hold until I had the electrical upgraded at the house. This just happened 2 years ago so first step in the right direction!

Right now I use the 3 pt hitch for:
1. York rake (4ft)
2. Small grader blade
3. Carry all.
4. Pallet forks to move empty plastic water storage tanks for maple sap.
5. Log hauler to drag firewood.
6. Trailer hitch but only once and awhile. Like my fixed hitch better.
7. Recently subsoil ripper and moldboard plow (not used much).

MI Cub 08-29-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workinprogress (Post 431481)
Thanks!

I completely agree the 120 volt welder with flux core is not the best tool for this job.

With that said, I have been using the same hitch design, done using the same welder on my 1512 for a number years. It has not broken yet. Over the years using this welder I have made multiple items including a 25 ton log splitter, heavy duty trailer for my cub, repaired 1.5 ton dump trailer. Using a process of material beveling and multiple pass welding I have very few welds break.

A more powerful welder is on my wish list but for now I have to make due with what I have.

The key factor on your previous welds holding is the beveling and multi pass welding. That little flux core machine will weld the crack of dawn, provided you make enough passes! But in all reality, you can weld anything with your machine that I could do with a 400amp mig machine, it will just take longer. Provided it is properly set up!

But yes, as Jmech stated, the tombstones are pretty reasonable to pick up. I just got one from a guy at work for a crispy $100. Then I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, a friend was cleaning out some garage space and needed a place to keep a weldpack 180 mig. I happily gave it a temporary home next to my weld bench, adding that he could come visit whenever he wanted.

Keep up the good work!

Workinprogress 08-30-2017 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lift link shafts almost finished. Bending the 1/2 thick flat stock is tough. What I did was make a shallow cut with the band saw. Then bent from the other side of the flat stock (i.e. hit it with big hammer). This opened the cut slightly. I then beveled the edges of cut with a grinder and filled the bevel with the welder. This seemed to allow good control of the bend location without actually having a press.

Attachment 87341

Attachment 87342

Workinprogress 09-04-2017 07:53 PM

No updates on the hitch but did pick up a Lincoln tombstone for $75. Guy didn't even have outlet to show it worked. He is a friend of a friend and he agreed to give me my money back if it didn't work. Rigged up a temporary electrical outlet in the Garage to test and the unit worked fine. Will finish installing electrical early next week and back to work on the hitches!

List to do:
- Weld inner arms on rock-shaft
- Drill hole in hitch side for installing pin to rock-shaft
- Drill holes for rear hydraulic quick connectors.
- smooth all edges, clean and paint
- build lift arms
- build adjustable links for lift arm.

MI Cub 09-06-2017 12:00 PM

Nice score! It should serve you well.

scarps68 09-06-2017 02:27 PM

I bought a Tombstone for $50 because it "didn't work." I can email you the guide I used to clean and lube the switch contacts. Wouldn't you know I now have a welder that works perfectly.

Rescue11 09-10-2017 11:27 PM

All this talk about tombstone is making me hungry. :popcorn: Hows the build coming a long?

Workinprogress 09-11-2017 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry progress slowed. Spent a couple nights practicing stick welding. Was able to get one hitch welded. Then wife started me on another project.

Last year she copied a painting on plywood with exterior paint. We hung it on the side of the garage.

This year she did three more. Since it was time to replace clap boards i spent the past weekend removing clap boards and putting up paintings.

Now I am on new clap board duty before cub time!

Attachment 87542